Brittany Smith Gallant, who lives in Canada, was devastated when one of her closet friends and bridesmaids couldn't join her for the celebrations due to Covid restrictions.
Her friend Sarah Redington lives in London , making it impossible to travel, but Brittany's now-husband Jeffrey Gallant had a lightbulb moment.
Working with a special company, Jeffrey set out to create a hologram of Sarah.
In a clip from the wedding, the groom said: 'I think everyone here knows how important London is to Brittany, and it's also home to many of her closest friends, some who, because of Covid restrictions, unfortunately couldn't physically be here with us tonight.
'Without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to one of Brittany's bridesmaids from London, Sarah Redington.'
It's clear that Brittany was utterly shocked at the surprise.
'Oh my god, this is absolutely incredible,' she exclaimed.
Later the bride added: 'When that surprise happened of the hologram, it was, as I've said, it was the cherry on top for sure, but it was just so special because I actually, like, physically saw her there, although it was just particles. But it was really special, really special.'
To become a hologram, Sarah had to put on the bridesmaid dress, go through hair and makeup, get some champagne and travel to a studio in London at 3am. The early call was needed to match-up with the time of the wedding reception in Canada.
'We capture her on a 4K camera from a video perspective,' said Larry O'Reilly, chief executive officer at ARHT Media Inc when explaining how the hologram worked.
'We also capture her audio and we take that information and we put it into our server where we encrypt it and we compress it and we send it over the common internet.
'And then it's played back onto a screen, which is a holographic screen where the video file hits that screen and is reflected back to the audience.'
Larry continued: 'Your brain is telling you they're in the room with you and that's when you create presence and it changes the emotional engagement and communication in a very meaningful way.'
Brittany explained the surprise was extra special as she had experienced a series of emotions knowing one of her best friends couldn't attend.
'Justin Trudeau announced that we wouldn't be able to have anyone that wasn't a Canadian citizen or American citizen at the wedding,' she recalled.
'So I was pretty devastated. Like I had definitely had a number of tears with Sarah and with Jeff.'
While it wasn't the same as having a loved one physically there, we think hologram Sarah was a superb alternative.
Do you have a story to share?
Send us an email at [email protected]
- Troll steals photos of bride-to-be trying on wedding dress - and sends them to groom
- Bridesmaid's brutal verdict as panicking bride threatens to call off wedding
- Don’t Tell The Bride groom slammed for making princess-loving fiancée wear a BLACK wedding dress and arrive in a hearse
- Kind bridesmaid makes dresses for pal's wedding - but trolls slam neon designs
- Mother-of-the-bride left furious when £160 wedding cake turns up lopsided and held together with KEBAB sticks
- Bride fires flower girl on wedding day, gets slammed on Reddit
- It Looks Like That Viral Story About A Bride Stealing $30,000 In Wedding Donations Was Just A Marketing Stunt
- Pippa Middleton arrives for wedding with dad Michael
- Disturbing origins of wedding traditions - from cutting the cake to carrying a bouquet
- What Prince George and Princess Charlotte wore to Pippa Middleton’s wedding
- Why William and Kate weren't at Royal wedding - along with Charles and Camilla
- ‘Corpse Bride’ slammed by wedding shamers for wearing a dress that looks like ‘screwed-up bed sheets’ on her big day
- Bride scraps wedding two days before saying ‘I do’ after discovering her fiancé’s Tinder profile
- Brutally honest maid-of-honour tells bride she sees her ‘bum dimples’ and clashes with Gok Wan on Say Yes To The Dress
- Robbie Williams' wife Ayda celebrates wedding anniversary
- EXCLUSIVE: Tania Bryer marries in a star-studded wedding
- Emmett Scanlan and Claire Cooper's wedding in HELLO!
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding secrets revealed… from the cake to music and even that dress
- 'It felt like the apocalypse': Australian couple stages incredible wedding photo shoot with Paris' famous landmarks all to themselves after riot police and violent protests shut down the city of love
- Bride’s evening outfit ridiculed by wedding shamers after she shows off her ‘massive butt wedgie’
Bride blown away as bridesmaid who couldn’t make wedding appears as hologram have 831 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 19, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.