India trade deal 'not possible' without Brexit says Liz Truss
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The UK Prime Minister and Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will agree on a comprehensive “Partnership for the Future” with the Middle East nation. The agreement will intensify collaboration between the UK and UAE in areas including trade, security, tech, development and tackling climate change.
The UAE-UK Sovereign Investment Partnership is also expected to confirm a multi-billion pound tranche of investments in the clean energy transition, life sciences and infrastructure and technology sectors.
This will include a £500m investment in digital infrastructure.
The deal will be announced after Mr Johnson hosts Sheikh Mohammed for a bilateral meeting at Downing Street, a military Guard of Honour and a UK-UAE business reception.
Ministers say the UAE is already a key partner for the UK, with total trade between both countries worth £12billion in 2020.
The deal will be announced today (Image: Getty)
Former International Trade Secretary Liz Truss said talks with the GCC were taking place (Image: UK Parliament)
Mr Johnson added: "The UAE and the UK share a long and rich history, but with today's agreement we are looking to the future.
"By working ever more closely together, our nations will be at the forefront of the industries of the future, helping to tackle climate change and boost prosperity.
"Ambitious partnerships like this are central to the Government's strategy to be a leading global force in science and technology, driving major investments to level up across the UK and create high-value jobs."
The deal by Mr Johnson will open up the UAE to doubling investment in the UK to £10bn over the next five years.
Investment Minister Lord Grimstone (Image: PA)
Investment minister Lord Grimstone said the UAE investment would be "the biggest of its type so far in this parliament".
He added: "You have to see this in the context of the UK wanting to forge these strong bilateral relationships.
"Perhaps we haven't always given as much attention as we should do, in the past, to these strong historic relationships and both our leaders absolutely felt it was the right time to reinvigorate this."
The UAE is a member of the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC), a regional trade bloc that has been negotiating trade deals as a grouping.
DON’T MISS: UK to launch rockets from Spaceport after Danish legal challenge [INSIGHT] Fury as SNP Health Secretary tells Scots to 'think twice' before call [REVEAL] EU blasted over City of London ‘power grab’ over financial services [LATEST]
Dubai in the UAE is a popular location for Brits (Image: Getty)
Discussions are ongoing with the UK on a potential trade deal with the six GCC countries, which also include Qatar and Bahrain.
But Thani al-Zeyoudi, the UAE's trade minister hinted the Gulf state would also pursue its own negotiations to expand business with the UK.
- Boris says Corbyn's Brexit plan would leave Britain a 'colony of the EU', after the Labour leader says he wants to keep UK in a customs unions in major U-turn
- Brexit news latest – Looming DISASTER as EU states could veto a Brexit deal even if Boris and Barnier reach an agreement
- Brexit news latest – Boris told to WALK AWAY from talks immediately after EU’s ‘extremist’ no-deal threat
- 'No deal' Brexit means bad news for ferrets, airlines and Scotch
- Labour MPs in 'Red Wall' heartlands urge Keir Starmer to back a Brexit deal
- Civil servants have 'serious doubts' over Covid safety in Government as 10 Tory MPs join Boris Johnson in self-isolation after one tested positive
- Brexit trade deal 'could be done by Tuesday, Britain's chief negotiator David Frost tells Boris Johnson'
- Boris Johnson tells Cabinet it is 'far from certain' Britain will get an EU trade deal because it will not sacrifice its 'core principles' to get an agreement with Brussels next week
- What happens if Boris Johnson fails to get a Brexit deal before December 31?
- EU cheers Cummings departure: Vote Leave architect's bombshell No 10 exit is celebrated in Brussels as Brexit talks reach 'make or break' moment
- Biden saw echoes of Trump in Boris Johnson. Will it complicate the US-UK 'special relationship'?
- Transition nearly done! Drone photos reveal vast 27-acre Kent field being turned into 1,700-space Brexit lorry park
- Brexit: Trade deal 'still possible', UK's chief negotiator says ahead of face-to-face talks
- Keir Starmer tells Boris his MOUTH is the 'biggest threat to the UK' in furious attack on Scottish devolution 'disaster' comments - as premier makes history with first 'virtual' PMQs from self-isolation in Downing Street
- Rishi Sunak draws up plans for new UK development bank
- Families WILL be allowed to mix over Christmas with 'up to four households' allowed to 'bubble' in deal struck today at meeting between Michael Gove, Nicola Sturgeon and other devolved leaders
- UK faces New Year ‘perfect storm’ chaos of floods, pandemic flu, strikes and Brexit no-deal, leaked Govt papers warn
- Brussels must get real and sign the basic trade deal that Boris Johnson has demanded
- Biden's Blinken Brexit Bust-up With BoJo: Is This the End of the 'Special Relationship'?
- Exit of Brexit guru Dominic Cummings is Boris Johnson’s last chance
Boris unveils £10bn Brexit masterstroke– new mega-trade alliance struck as EU left in dust have 987 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 16, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.