Are your tampons adding to the climate crisis?
Each year 1.5-2 billion menstrual items are flushed down Britain's toilets, while another 200,000 tonnes end up in landfill as plastic waste.
But don't worry — there are a whole load of innovative, eco-friendly and super practical period products on offer — including everything from period-friendly gym leggings to pain relieving patches.
Here are our favourite reusable, biodegradable and all-natural menstrual items for you to get started on your way to a greener period.
Flo Organic Eco-applicator Tampons Regular & Super
Go with the flow with these biodegradable organic cotton tampons.
What makes them special? The silky smooth sugarcane applicator can be recycled after use and 5% of the profit from each pack goes to charities supporting girls and women in need.
Natracare Organic Natural Pads Ultra Regular
Not ready to let go of disposable towels? Natracare's plastic-free pads are made from a mix of organic cotton and cellulose, and are fully biodegradable.
When you've finished using one, toss it in the compost bin, guilt-free.
TOTM menstrual cup
Menstrual cups are an eco-friendly go-to, as they can be washed and reused for years.
This zero-waste cup is super flexible and available in three sizes to perfectly fit your body.
Hey Girls Essential Bikini period knickers
Made from supersoft bamboo and as absorbent as three to four tampons, these period knickers are the comfiest way to spend your time of the month.
ModiBodi 7/8 Recycled Active Legging
Is your period cramping your style in the gym? Made from recycled materials and with two to three tampons' worth of absorbency, these leggings will let you work out without the worry of leaks.
Daye CBD tampons
Daye's revolutionary tampons deliver cramp-relieving CBD exactly where you need it, are made from sanitised, unbleached cotton and have a protective sheath to stop fibres from shedding inside you, reducing the risk of TSS.
BeYou Period Patch
At just 0.3mm thick, BeYou's discreet biodegradable plasters use menthol and eucalyptus to soothe cramps for up to 48 hours.
Simply stick to the skin on your lower belly or back for cooling comfort.
Dame reusable pad set
Cloth pads might seem a bit old fashioned but these hi-tech liners from eco brand Dame are the future.
With an ultra-thin moisture wicking and odour-proof core, the set contains a regular pad,night pad and a reusable liner.
Once washed in the Dry Bag (also included), they can be used again and again, saving up to 2,000 pads in the process.
This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on purchases made through one of these links but this never influences our experts' opinions. Products are tested and reviewed independently of commercial initiatives.
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing [email protected] .
How to get your Metro newspaper fix
- Top 10: world’s best eco-friendly luxury hotels
- The best eco friendly luggage brands
- What is the best eco-friendly and reusable coffee cup on the market?
- Eco-friendly essentials: Ten everyday items you can buy on Amazon that will help you be kind to the planet
- Ten of the World's Most Luxurious Eco-Friendly Hotels
- 6 of the best eco spas in the UK
- A quick guide to eco-friendly living
- Best eco-travel Instagram to follow
- The best eco fashion instagram accounts to follow now
- Eco-friendly wildlife safaris
- 9 Best Kid-Friendly Hotels in San Diego
- How to Be a More Responsible & Eco-Friendly Traveler • Ordinary Traveler
- An Eco-Friendly Spa Break in the Austrian Alps
- Ecocirer Hotel in Mallorca is as eco-friendly and stylish as they come
- Eco-Friendly gifts under 200 euros
- Can An Eco-Friendly Songkran Be Sustainable? • Alex in Wanderland
- Kate Hudson's eco-friendly clothing line is perfect for festival season -- and is super affordable
- Kate Hudson's eco-friendly clothing line is perfect for festival season -- and it's super affordable
- The Best Christmas Markets
- Seventh graders bake TAMPON COOKIES to hand out at school in protest after their male principal refused to stock free sanitary products in the school bathroom
Best eco-friendly pads, tampons and pants for a more sustainable period have 791 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.