The Spitfire on display ahead of today’s Battle of Britain Day commemorations (Image: Jacob King/PA)
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The RW388 is being housed in a 3,800sq ft glass-walled display at The Potteries Museum and Art Gallery in Stoke, ahead of today’s Battle of Britain Day commemorations. Second World War veterans Norman Lewis, 102, and Bert Turner, 97, were this week given a sneak preview of the Stoke Spitfire as it was put in place.
The aircraft has been returned to its 1945 condition by volunteers from the Medway Aircraft Preservation Society in Kent.
Spit goes ‘home’ IT took three years, dozens of volunteers and even research in a Haynes manual but this restored Spitfire has finally started its journey home.
Norman Lewis, 102-year-old Dunkirk veteran, by the reconditioned Spitfire (Image: Jacob King/PA)
Bert Turner, 97-year-old RAF bomber command veteran, by the reconditioned Spitfire (Image: Jacob King/PA)
The Daily Express had previously reported how the glorious Spitfire had finally returned home to the city of its birth to be part of the new wartime display.
- Battle of Britain heroes remembered 80 years on with flypast over Westminster Abbey
- The Skymaster saves soldiers again: Ex-servicemen battle to restore military transport plane that served with the US Navy and Marines in WW2, Korea and Vietnam and flew British prisoners home from Japan
- Happy New Lockdown! Just 4% of Britons say they WILL break Covid rules to celebrate with friends tonight despite government pleas to stay at home as police launch crackdown on illegal street parties and Trafalgar Square is fenced off
- New coin to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II’s 95th birthday in 2021
- Britain braces for Big Freeze: Forecasters issue weather warnings for snow and ice in the north with parts of England to be gripped by harsh frost as 'Beast from the East' sweeps in
- Britain's busiest hospital is in 'DISASTER medicine mode', claims 'leaked management email' from Royal London where medics are 'no longer providing high standard critical care' and 'patients are waiting 24 hours for beds and take taxis to beat ambulances'
- China orders military to be ready for war ‘at any second’ as Brit aircraft carrier prepares to sail to South China Sea
- Queen's 95th birthday to be marked by new coin
- Five new 2021 coins revealed including one for the Queen’s 95th birthday
- Tony Blair leads calls for Britain to dramatically accelerate Covid vaccination drive with pop-up jab centres and volunteers as ex-PM insists 5million doses a week is 'not complicated'
- Trump’s New ‘Volunteer’ Lawyer Specializes in Election B.S.
- Harry Styles new girlfriend Olivia Wilde has a history to rival his – including her secret royal husband
- Will the shops shut? Can I still go into the office? And will I get fined for seeing my mum? As ALL of England is put in Tier Three or Four - apart from 2,000 living on Isles of Scilly - what the new rules mean for you
- Lenny Henry says BBC and terrestrial broadcasters risk losing BAME viewers to streaming services like Netflix because they are better at representing Britain's ethnic diversity
- Met office dubs Ciara 'storm of the century' as homes are evacuated, hotel collapses into raging flood waters and 93mph winds rip down cranes, windmills and even a pub
- From Largest Communal Dispute to an End to Colonial Baggage: Top 10 India Events in 2020
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Georgia election day is finally here; Trump hopes Pence 'comes through for us' to overturn results
- Incredible story of RAF hero pilot who could see in the dark and shot down a record 14 German planes at night without radar emerges as his poignant archive goes up for auction
- The plane that could have stopped the Blitz: Jet engine inventor showed pioneering designs to RAF top brass two YEARS before deadly Nazi bombing campaign - but they IGNORED him
- David Bowie remembered 5 years after his death
Battle of Britain commemorations: Spitfire becomes attraction of new aircraft exhibition have 740 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.