The Ravens believe Edwards and Peters tore their ACLs during Thursday’s practice, sources told Schefter. Baltimore wasn’t practicing in full pads Thursday. Both players are undergoing testing to confirm the initial diagnoses.
This continues a horrid run of injuries for Baltimore and delivers a major blow to the Ravens’ Super Bowl aspirations.
Edwards becomes the third running back to suffer a season-ending injury in a span of 12 days. J.K. Dobbins tore the ACL in his left knee in the preseason finale Aug. 28, and Justice Hill hurt an Achilles tendon Sept. 9.
Ty’Son Williams , a practice player from a year ago who doesn’t have an NFL carry, becomes the Ravens’ lead back. The other two running backs on the roster — Trenton Cannon and Le’Veon Bell (practice squad) — only started practicing with the Ravens on Wednesday.
The Ravens are also signing free-agent running back Devonta Freeman to their practice squad on Thursday, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told Schefter. It is expected that Freeman will be promoted to the active roster.
The Ravens have had the NFL’s most dominant ground attack, leading the league in rushing the past two seasons. Dobbins and Edwards totaled 1,528 yards rushing last season, which accounted for 81% of the output by Baltimore running backs. Edwards signed a three-year, $12.38 million deal in June that included $8 million in guaranteed money.
The loss of Peters would represent the most significant injury to the defense this year. The Ravens have depth at cornerback, but it will be difficult to replace Peters’ playmaking ability. His 31 interceptions leads the NFL since he entered the league in 2015.
Since Peters was traded to Baltimore in Week 9 of 2019, the Ravens have allowed the fewest yards per pass attempt (6.1) and tied for the second-fewest touchdown passes allowed (31), according to ESPN Stats & Information research.
The Ravens open the season at the Las Vegas Raiders on Monday Night Football.
- Titans-Ravens Preview: Look For ‘Battle Of Wills’ In The Run Game, Says Rich Gannon
- Coronavirus: Baltimore Ravens reopen facility following multiple positive tests including Mark Ingram and JK Dobbins
- Fantasy football Week 12 players to add: Tim Patrick, Alex Smith, Gus Edwards
- Report: Ravens RB Mark Ingram expected to play against Patriots
- Nicki Minaj SLAMS the Grammys for failing to name her Best New Artist in 2012... as she says 'Kiss my ___' in a cheeky Instagram post
- Former Doctor Who sidekick Anneke Wills says she stopped watching the show after Jodie Whittaker landed main role
- Report: Lamar Jackson tests positive for COVID-19
- FMIA Week 11: Patrick Mahomes and the Moments Competitors Love; Alex Smith and the Spirit of Thanksgiving
- Grammy Nominations: Beyoncé Tops List, With Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, Roddy Ricch Also Scoring Big
- Grammy nomination SNUBS! The Weeknd is left OFF the list as is Selena Gomez with Justin Bieber upset he was not recognized in the R&B category
- Grammy nominations: Beyonce comes out on top with NINE nods... despite not actually releasing an album in 2020f
- Daniel Patrick Moynihan: Ruling Class Hero
Baltimore Ravens fear RB Gus Edwards, CB Marcus Peters have torn ACLs, sources say have 555 words, post on abcnews.go.com at September 9, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.