Ashley Cain was teary-eyed as fans lined the streets to offer support for his charity bike ride in memory of his baby daughter Azaylia, who died aged eight months earlier this year.
The former Coventry City player and reality TV star, 30, was understandably overcome with emotion as hundreds of supporters showed up to cheer him on as he stopped in Sedgefield, County Durham.
The sports star is on day eight of his ride from the bottom of the country to the top, with well-wishers gathering outside Hardwick Hall hotel to see him finish his cycling trip from Leeds.
He posed for photos and gave out plenty of hugs to fans who also brought money, donating to his team who had buckets for cash donations.
The event has raised over £50k so far, as Ashley and his team, including brother Matt Moore, stood with '50k balloons,' wearing proud smiles.
The challenge from Lands End to John O'Groats was set up to fundraise for The Azaylia Foundation, supporting those affected by childhood cancer.
Ashley and reality star Safiyya's daughter, Azaylia Diamond Cain, died on April 24 following her diagnosis of an aggressive form of leukemia at eight months old.
Prior to her death, the couple touched many people with their story, which they regularly shared online.
They raised more than £1.5m to fund her specialist treatment in Singapore after being told by doctors that chemotherapy would not be enough to cure Azaylia.
She had a successful bone marrow transplant after Ashley and Safiyya pleaded with the public in November to register as stem cell donors, resulting in over 40k people applying within 48 hours.
Their charity was founded in May to help others fight childhood cancer.
Appearing on Loose Women , Ashley said: 'We want to use the rest of our lives to make a difference in this world to help these children so that we can ease the burden a little bit of parents that might have to go through this as well.'
Got a story?
If you've got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to hear from you.
- Miley Cyrus honors 'most supportive mommy' Tish and Demi Moore shares sweet throwback snap... as they lead stars celebrating Mother's Day in lockdown
- Now your Mail Force PPE is made in Britain! After the great China airlift, charity buys 1.5m aprons from the home front... and donations soar to £7million
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Are you fat? I don't really do fat girls.' Super Bowl-bound LA Ram CJ Anderson sexted sultry technician behind his pregnant girlfriend's back, offered to fly her out for sex and pestered her for nude photos to see if she was overweight
- Poignant VE Day memories from those who celebrated and those who fought in WW2
- Britain is warned not to break lockdown to celebrate VE Day as Boris Johnson prepares 'to keep restrictions until at least June' with just 'baby steps' out to be announced on Sunday
- How Would You Like $2 Million to Steal Elvis' Coffin?
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez get ALL the kids together for dance Tik Tok as they lead celebs trying to enjoy social isolation
- 'Drunk' builder, 29, accused of mowing down and killing four kids after mounting a kerb during a car crash is isolated in prison - as the children's mother FORGIVES him
- Goldie Taylor—The Search for My Father’s Killer
- My Appetites
- Wales drops limits on outdoor exercise and says garden centres and libraries can open with Boris Johnson set to follow suit on Sunday - but Nicola Sturgeon warns 'stay at home' coronavirus guidance MUST remain amid UK splits
- The Final Difficult Days of Brittany Murphy
- Jim Carrey: Bare Facts and Shocking Revelations
- British Airways scraps £300m payout to shareholders to protect its 'liquidity' against coronavirus after furloughing 36,000 staff - amid claims Spanish owners have 'sucked life out of airline'
- Diego 'Chico' Corrales was a 'modern gladiator' whose eventful life was tragically cut short
- Coronavirus UK LIVE updates: Brits urged to remain in lockdown over bank holiday weekend as death toll hits 31,241
- Beyond ‘Animal Crossing:’ What those making your favorite games are playing
- Adele: Inside Her Private Life and Triumphant Return
- 'We will overcome this': The Queen pays tribute to a 'generation of Britons as strong as any' bravely facing coronavirus crisis and self-isolation and says 'we will succeed... and we will meet again'
- Brock Pierce: The Hippie King of Cryptocurrency
Ashley Cain tearful as fans turn out in their hundreds to support charity bike ride in memory of baby girl Azaylia have 785 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 9, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.