Arsenal and Tottenham are gearing up for the latest chapter in the north London derby this afternoon when Spurs pay a visit to the Emirates.
Rarely has a player played for both sides but Campbell is an exception – the former England defender made over 300 appearances for Spurs before leaving to spend five years at Arsenal.
And his former team-mate Parlour recalls Campbell not getting the warmest of welcomes upon his return to White Hart Lane as the rivals played out a 1-1 draw.
'The fiercest game I've ever been in was Sol Campbell's first game back at White Hart Lane – Woah!' Parlour told talkSPORT .
'I'll always remember coming out [of the stadium], we got pelters, we got all sorts of things thrown at our coach.
'When you come out of Tottenham you've got to do a hard left at a T-junction, and the police were on our coach telling us not to stop, just keep going as quick as you can, and it was dangerous.
'We went round this corner so quickly all the plates came out the cupboards – smash!
'We thought the window had gone in!
'That was probably the scariest and most intimidating game I've been involved in.'
Despite the hostile reception Arsenal received and Spurs fans labelling Campbell a 'Judas,' it seems Parlour and the rest of his team-mates took it in their stride and even found time to get Arsene Wenger to agree to playing a joke on him.
'I shouted down the coach: "Boss, I've got an idea",' Parlour continued.
'Arsene Wenger stood up and said: "What is it?"
'I said: "Boss, why don't we just put a sign on the window saying, Sol sits here, at least then they'll get the right window!"
'And I'll always remember the boss' reply: "Yes, that's a good idea, we do that."
'Sol was just looking at me with a smirk on his face.'
Spurs sit three points above 13th-placed Arsenal ahead of today's encounter.
For more stories like this, check our sport page .
- Arsenal closing in on free transfer for Norwegian winger George Lewis after 19-year-old impressed on two-week trial
- 5pm Arsenal news LIVE: Saka to Liverpool, Partey to cost £43m as Lacazette swap not wanted, Icardi-Aubameyang swap
- Arsenal to show Invincibles film TONIGHT and fans in lockdown can watch Henry & Co for FREE using club’s app
- Ray of light before Freddie's final flourish
- 10.45am Arsenal news LIVE: Aubameyang ‘promised grandad he’d play for Real Madrid’, Saka to Liverpool, Partey LATEST
- 12pm Arsenal news LIVE: Icardi offered in incredible Aubameyang SWAP, Partey ‘hoping for Gunners transfer’
- 10pm Arsenal news LIVE: Emery wanted Zaha over Pepe, Ozil could have been captain, Torreira transfer UPDATE
- 7am Arsenal news LIVE: Lacazette ‘inhales balloon again’, Emery wanted Zaha over Pepe, Ozil could have been captain
- Steven Gerrard, Glenn Hoddle, Bobby Moore: The 50 best players who never won the league (50-26)
- 7am Man Utd news LIVE: Pogba ‘on verge of completing Juventus transfer’, Sancho pursuit ‘discouraging’ Gomes
- 10pm Man Utd news LIVE: Sancho transfer ‘discouraging’ Gomes, Raul Jimenez transfer UPDATE, Matondo backup plan
- Coronavirus in Sport LIVE: UFC 249 fighter Ronaldo Souza tests positive, Premier League NOT given green light yet
Arsenal legend Ray Parlour recalls time Arsene Wenger agreed to cruel joke on Sol Campbell have 644 words, post on metro.co.uk at September 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.