Nigel Farage and Bob Ward clash on climate change on GB News
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Mr Neil had been chairman and star presenter of GB News, but only presented for two weeks before taking an extended break. He has since cut links with the channel, tweeting he will "never again be on GB News".
The former BBC presenter told the Daily Mail he "came close to a breakdown" during his time with GB News, describing the experience as "worse" than being "on the IRA hit list".
Mr Neil expressed frustration over technical issues, an early launch and the hiring of "shock jocks" by GB News.
He commented: "Look at the direction of travel.
"They bring in these shock jocks in the morning and evening – Mark Dolan and this Patrick Christys. You've already got Dan Wootan."
Andrew Neil has said he came “close to a breakdown” during his time with GB News (Image: GB NEWS)
Andrew Neil and Nigel Farage on GB News (Image: GB NEWS)
Speaking about GB News coverage Mr Neil added: "I do feel angry though about what they've done to a beautiful dream.
"This was a vision that might have worked. But if you watch the constant themes that come through again and again from the shock jockeys on GB News, the perception is 'we hate migrants, we hate the NHS, we hate lockdown and we hate Meghan Markle'."
The former chairman also claimed there were discussions within GB News about putting "secret cameras in classrooms to show how Left-wing the teachers were".
Mr Neil warned this would get them into "hot water for breaking about five different laws, including filming minors".
Andrew Neil spoke about GB News during an appearance on BBC Question Time (Image: BBCQT)
GB News has since given a flagship show to Nigel Farage, the former Brexit Party leader.
It has been criticised for low ratings, with some of its shows attracting zero viewer, according to official audience figures.
Mr Neil spoke about the impact working for the channel had on his mental health.
He commented: "That stress was just huge. It meant you couldn't think about the journalism.
Andrew Neil says he was close to a breakdown ‘disaster’ on GB News [REVEAL] 'Went from bad to worse!' Andrew Neil blasts GB News [SHOCK] Andrew Neil confirms he will never appear on GB News again [INSIGHT]
Andrew Neil had been GB News’ star presenter (Image: GETTY)
Dan Wootan hosts a GB News show (Image: GETTY)
"You were just constantly wondering: 'Will we make it through the hour?'
"By the end of that first week, I knew I had to get out.
"It was really beginning to affect my health. I wasn't sleeping. I was waking up at two or three in the morning."
Mr Neil also argued GB News launched in June before it was fully ready, and regrets not being more vocal in opposing this.
Germany election: Commentator discusses EU relationship
He stated: "When I do look back, the one thing I will say is I wish I'd been more publicly demonstrative about not launching on June 13.
"It wouldn't have stopped the launch and it wouldn't have stopped the s**tshow that followed, but I would have been on the record saying: 'Don't do this. It's going to be a disaster'."
A spokesman for GB News contested Mr Neil's account of his time with the channel.
They said: "At no point did Andrew raise concerns of the editorial direction of GB News moving to the right.
Nigel Farage has been brought in as a GB News star presenter (Image: GETTY)
"As with all companies, decision-making rests with the board, and GB News is no different.
"As a member of the board, Andrew had the same rights and abilities to raise concerns, and he was privy to all decisions.
"The launch date of GB News was set to accommodate Andrew's own travel plans. Indeed, contrary to management's wishes, it was Andrew who insisted the launch date be announced, failing which he refused to travel to London for it.
"At no time did Andrew ask to be executive chairman and at no point was this offered to him. He was always a non-executive chairman."
- Royal biographer Lady C says ‘weak’ Harry was taken away from his family by ‘Shakespeare villain’ Meghan
- Meghan and Harry latest news: Duchess’ dad Thomas Markle ‘given up on reunion’ and Queen ‘scolded’ Prince over aide row
- Meghan and Harry latest news: Duchess’ ‘proud feminist’ biography cut and Queen ‘scolded’ Prince over aide row
- The Harry and Meghan book is a huge misstep…you actually think worse of them for it
- Did Rupert Murdoch's son quit his media empire because it isn't woke enough? 'Liberal of the family' James steps down after he and his environmentalist wife grew disillusioned with company's coverage
- Viewers hit back at £190,000-a-year BBC Breakfast presenter Naga Munchetty for insisting licence fee is 'worth' it to ensure people are 'informed, educated and entertained'
- Joe Biden tells his supporters 'Let's go win this' after picking Kamala Harris as his running mate - which could make her the first black woman VP - and says 'together we can beat Donald Trump'
- Friday briefing: Vulnerable children left in filthy cells, says custody monitor
- 'You beat Phoebe!' Fleabag's Sian Clifford breaks down in tears as she wins at TV BAFTAs 2020 and reunites with co-star Phoebe Waller-Bridge (who tweezes during their Zoom call!)
- Engel falls behind insurgent left-wing challenger in preliminary results, as Ocasio-Cortez wins primary
Andrew Neil savages GB News' Meghan Markle coverage - blasts ‘s***show disaster’ have 1110 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.