Welcome to your early-morning news briefing from The Telegraph – a round-up of the top stories we are covering on Wednesday. To receive twice-daily briefings by email, sign up to our Front Page newsletter for free .
1. Iran 'hijacks' oil tanker in Gulf of Oman
Iranian-backed forces were suspected of seizing an oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman last night, just days after Iran was blamed for a drone attack on another tanker that killed a British crew member.
The Royal Navy's UK Maritime Trade Operations [UKMTO] agency warned of a suspected "hijacking" incident near the Emirati port of Fujairah but did not give further details. Read the full story .
2. Mass vaccination of children against Covid planned
The mass vaccination of children against Covid-19 is set to get the green light, with approval given for 16 and 17-year-olds to receive the jab.
The Telegraph understands the change in guidance will be announced on Wednesday after scientific advisers submitted their updated advice to Downing Street. Read the full story .
3. Boris Johnson ditches overseas summer holiday in favour of August staycation
Boris Johnson has decided not to travel abroad for his summer holidays and will instead take a "staycation" in the UK later this month, The Telegraph understands.
The Prime Minister's move matches scores of Britons who have opted to avoid the complexity of foreign travel given the Covid-19 restrictions in place. Read the full story .
4. Mike Ashley set to step down from Sports Direct
Mike Ashley, the Sports Direct billionaire, is preparing to step down as chief executive of his retail empire and hand over day-to-day control to his prospective son-in-law, The Telegraph can reveal.
The 56-year-old is expected to assume the role of deputy chairman of Frasers Group in an announcement that may come as soon as Thursday alongside the company's annual results. Read the full story .
5. Day 12 at Tokyo 2020
Follow the latest news from the Olympic Games – and catch up on what you missed overnight. Read the full story .
- Can you imagine a 16-year-old playing in the majors? This Rockhurst grad did, for the KC Athletics
- How a 16-year-old is fighting his way into Sporting Kansas City’s lineup
- BCA: Deputies fatally shoot 16-year-old boy at Chanhassen home
- UK observes moment of silence for 4-year-old boy hit near stadium
- 20-year-old student found dead at frat house near U of M’s St. Paul campus
- Kiszla: Is Rockies’ offense so bad 38-year-old Matt Holliday should grab his bat and hop a plane to Denver?
- Police said the student was stabbed by a 17-year-old girl who is in custody
- Tragic death of seventeen year old Sheffield United fan, school girl and inspiration to others
- Tragic death of 17 year old Sheffield United fan, school girl, sports-lover and inspiration to others
- Woman charged in deaths of grandmother, 5-year-old girl
- Matt Kemp, David Price named Sporting News Comeback Players of the Year
- UK police believe 39 truck victims are Vietnamese
- Sally thrilled at her silver lining after years of hurt
- Vietnam arrests two suspects in UK human trafficking case
- BREAKING NEWS: Beto O'Rourke QUITS 2020 race as campaign runs out of cash - after launching run on the front of Vanity Fair saying: 'Man, I'm just born to be in it.'
- UK Set to Raise Driving Age to 18. Should the U.S. Follow Suit?
- UK player on weekly trips to children’s hospital: ‘To put a smile on their face is everything I want to do.’
- News watch August 2010: today's industry news
- News watch September 2010: today's auto industry news
- News watch July 2010: today's auto industry news
Wednesday morning UK news briefing: Covid jabs for 16-year-olds have 601 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.