“In 2013, in China, approximately 1,100 km [683.5 miles] from Wuhan, in the caves that speleologists were exploring, the virus was found that was 96% similar to COVID-19, and it could have been transmitted to people who were working in that cave. And what is unclear is that this virus was probably identified by one of laboratories in Wuhan… Some publications, dissertations were made by the people working in those laboratories. But those dissertations disappeared. In addition, when you work on a new virus, you freeze it [the sample]. But it turned out that the laboratory failed to find that sample. And this is a little worrying”, Pittet said.
This does not mean the virus was created artificially, the expert went on, but it may mean that the virus pretty much similar to SARS-CoV-2 was found in 2013 and this fact was concealed.
“And to become a pandemic, the virus must circulate in nature for a while. So, probably, this virus has been with us much longer than we can imagine”, he continued.
Pittet added that there is evidence that people in Europe and Asia contracted COVID-19 before this virus became globally known.
The situation has to be scrutinised in detail to find out how long it takes a virus to turn into a pandemic, in order to respond quickly next time when a similar issue arises, according to Pittet.
The World Health Organisation declared the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020. Over 4 million people worldwide have died from the disease, according to Johns Hopkins University.
- N501Y mutation in SARS-CoV-2 virus causes increased infectivity in mice: researchers
- SARS-CoV-2’s spread to wild mink not yet a reason to panic
- New variant of SARS-CoV-2 more transmissible and affecting younger population: Health Ministry
- Whack-a-Mole Virus: Treating Covid-19 Makes It Mutate, Microbiologist Says
- New coronavirus strain spreading in UK has key mutations, scientists say
- Coronavirus | Virus RNA found in sewage samples, says ICMR study
- Tracking virus presence in sewage to help monitor pandemic: researchers
- Coronavirus | Tracking virus presence in sewage to help monitor pandemic: researchers
- Latest study could help future therapies to sway Covid-19 virus
- Video: Pornhub Releases Sex Ed Content That Compares COVID-19 Virus to 9/11 Attackers
- How Britain shot itself in the foot being the 'best in the world' at sequencing viruses and spotting the super-infectious mutation that left the UK a pariah - as scientists admit it could have emerged elsewhere
- New Covid strain has 'striking' amount of mutations: Scientists discover 17 changes on crucial spike protein of evolved virus spreading through London and the South East
- Hundreds of British tourists ESCAPE and flee in the night after being forced into quarantine at Swiss ski resort hotels despite fears they could have mutant virus strain
- Covid-19 study suggesting it was in Italy in 2019 'clears us of blame', China says
- British tourists sneak out of Swiss ski resort
- Virus left global trail before COVID cases
- Italy becomes FIFTH country to spot mutated Covid virus after infected British traveller flew to Rome - as Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia and Belgium all report cases
- Virus variant: On temporary travel ban from U.K.
- Govt: New virus variant can be super spreader, but no case in India so far
- New COVID Strain in U.K. May Be Better at Infecting Children, Scientists Say
Virus Similar to SARS-CoV-2 Might Have Existed Since 2013, Swiss Epidemiologist Says have 564 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.