Chelsea: The first six fixtures of the 2021/22 Premier League
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel wants to push for the summer signing of Inter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku in spite of the Italian club’s reluctance to sell, according to reports. The Blues have been heavily linked with the 28-year-old since the end of last season, but club director Marina Granovskaia appears to be facing an uphill battle in securing his signature.
Chelsea are in desperate need of a top-class marksman to lead the line ahead of the new campaign, with their current options somewhat limited for a side with high hopes of winning this season’s Premier League title. Kai Havertz has been forced to adapt to a striking role in recent outings as a result of Timo Werner’s failure to live up to expectations at Stamford Bridge. Meanwhile, Olivier Giroud has already left the club to join AC Milan on a permanent deal and Tammy Abraham has seemingly been left out in the cold despite finishing last season as Chelsea’s joint-top scorer in all competitions. The newly-crowned European champions would reap the rewards of a prolific and imposing forward to carry the majority of the side’s goal burden, with Lukaku’s capture able to fit the bill. The Belgian is believed to be at the top of Chelsea’s wish list, but a summer move could end up being difficult to engineer, with Inter unlikely to sell for anything less than nine figures.
Lukaku has been linked with a sensational return to Chelsea (Image: GETTY)
Lukaku has also publicly underlined his desire to stay with the San Siro giants, but Tuchel is confident that he can persuade the forward to leave if Granovskaia is able to negotiate a lower transfer fee at club level, according to The Telegraph .
The report claims that Chelsea remain hopeful of completing a move for Lukaku as they look to take advantage of Inter’s precarious financial situation.
The 28-year-old would cost the Blues a pretty penny (Image: GETTY)
New boss Simone Inzaghi has reportedly sounded out the former Manchester United man to relay his vision for the club and discuss his transfer strategy for the season ahead, a move that has been welcomed by the player himself. It remains to be seen whether Chelsea will be able to reduce Lukaku’s price and seal his unlikely return to Stamford Bridge before the window slams shut at the end of the month. The Blues have also been linked with a move for Borussia Dortmund talisman Erling Haaland, who has established himself as one of the planet’s most feared strikers in recent years. However, the 20-year-old is widely expected to stay in Germany for at least another season, with his current employers unwilling to consider the prospect of his departure over the coming weeks.
Do you want an exclusive pre-season preview for YOUR club – both in your inbox and through your letterbox? Head over here to find out more and secure your copy.
Chelsea were the Premier League’s biggest spenders last summer (Image: EXPRESS)
Sebastian Kehl, who will succeed Michael Zorc as Dortmund’s sporting director next year, recently suggested that Haaland is not concerning himself with Chelsea’s reported interest as he gears up for the new season. “I still see Erling as extremely committed, he exudes an incredible amount of energy and is really up for the season at BVB,” Kehl told German outlet Bild . “Erling won his first title with Borussia Dortmund a few weeks ago. I believe that this also inspires and spurs him on. He sees what is possible, and he often asks me when we’re going to play with fans again. “Celebrating this triumph without them, that worried him. He would like to see this interaction between fans and players again in the coming season.”
- PSG coach Thomas Tuchel praises Man United manager Solskjaer
- Lukaku fuels speculation over Man Utd future after Chelsea draw
- Manchester United striker Lukaku a fitness doubt for Wolves FA Cup clash
- Chelsea keep alive Maurizio Sarri's dream of silverware
- Real Madrid’s ‘plan to sign Eden Hazard’ if Chelsea reject transfer bid
- Solskjaer set to put trust in youth amid Manchester United injury crisis
- PSG vs Man Utd
- Man Utd pull off incredible comeback win as PSG capitulate in Europe again after dramatic late VAR decision
- Man Utd pull off incredible comeback as Paris St-Germain capitulate in Europe after dramatic late VAR decision
- How Man Utd produced one of the great European comebacks... and why PSG's furious Neymar called it a 'disgrace'
- Manchester United news and transfers LIVE Liverpool latest
- PSG vs Manchester United simulated on FIFA 19
- Manchester United 3-2 Southampton
- Champions League: Manchester United feast on PSG gaffes
- Manchester United news and transfers RECAP Liverpool latest
- Champions League state of play: how will the last-16 ties be decided?
- Everton U23s v Arsenal LIVE
- What Solskjaer has done to give Man Utd fans hope vs PSG
- Man Utd 0-2 Man City: Champions win derby to go top of table
- ‘Fearless’ Marcus Rashford holds nerve to cap remarkable comeback by Solskjaer’s Manchester United youngsters
Thomas Tuchel sets Marina Granovskaia task as Chelsea boss confident of Romelu Lukaku deal have 1027 words, post on www.express.co.uk at August 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.