SPOTIFY is testing charging its users $0.99 (70p) to skip songs they don’t like.
Some Spotify users that don’t pay for the Premium version of the music platform will be involved in the test.
Spotify confirmed its plans to The Verge .
It said: “We're always working to enhance the Spotify experience and we routinely conduct tests to inform our decisions.
“We're currently conducting a test of an ad-supported subscription plan with a limited number of our users.”
The new feature is called Spotify Plus and will see a small number of users offered different price points to skip a song.
This will help Spotify see if the feature is popular and what price they can charge.
Users of the ‘free’ version of Spotify will still have to listen through adverts as well as potentially pay to skip songs.
At the moment, free users can only skip six tracks an hour.
They can also only listen to shuffled songs on playlists and albums.
These are all big reasons why users switch over to Spotify Premium.
However, that service costs $9.99/£9.99 a month.
This is still off-putting for some users who would rather put up with adverts.
Now, they’ll be given the option of paying a smaller fee for some control over the free version of the app.
The test doesn’t mean the feature will definitely roll out to everyone though.
Spotify explained to The Verge : “Some tests end up paving the way for new offerings or enhancements while others may only provide learnings.
“We don't have any additional information to share at this time.”
Most read in Phones & Gadgets
In other news, the next iPhone will come in a new pink colour and start at just under £800, according to recent rumours.
Apple has paid millions of dollars to a woman whose explicit videos and images were shared online by people repairing her iPhone.
And, Spotify has launched a new feature for its Android and iOS apps that spots your favourite artists and gives you a personalised playlist.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at [email protected]
- Spotify agrees to fund to settle copyright suits
- Asian markets rise as investors track trade talks, US shutdown
- Credit card fraudsters could face charges
- Trump willing to talk to North Korea's Kim, wants to renegotiate climate accord
- US man charged in foiled New York bomb plot
- Charging police, Dallas gunman shows tactical skill in ambush
- Kansas man charged with killing Indian in possible hate crime
- Vietnam nabs man wanted in China for $15.8 mn swindling scam
- Vietnam among 18 countries where you don't have to leave a tip
- A generation of Syrian children who don’t count
- Keep fit and don’t quit rice: readers respond
- Don’t you mess with us any more: women, children learn self-defense
- Alcohol destroyed my brother’s life. Don’t let it destroy yours
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 14/1
- Asian market sell off picks up pace, Shanghai tumbles
- Hamilton takes controversial Canada win after Vettel penalised
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 26/10
- Trump says he told Putin 'we can't have meddling' in US vote
- BUSINESS NEWS IN BRIEF 22/8
- Vietnam's biggest telcos scam users by embedding services, concealing fees
Spotify wants to charge you a DOLLAR to skip tracks you don’t like have 618 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 3, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.