Sunday Brunch host Simon Rimmer took a bizarre swipe at his own TV programme this week, as he insisted it ‘isn’t a proper TV show’.
The host was busy cooking and chatting to The Grand Tour presenter James May about running his Swallowcliffe pub, which he bought one half of last year when it looked like the venue would close and be turned into housing.
James was discussing the nature of his pub with the hosts and fellow guest Jason Byrne, describing it as “minimalist and modernist” with “poncy food” – but that he likes it that way.
The ex-Top Gear host jokingly admitted that while his pub doesn’t even have a dart board, ‘his half’ is the perfect location for a chat.
He bought it after the only pub within walking distance of Wiltshire cottages where he lives would be likely to close – and those living in the area would see their “lives over”.
“It’s quite a good social gathering, isn’t it?” Jason asked.
Which is when Simon chipped in to say to co-star Tim Lovejoy: “Quite often we don’t feel like our show is a proper telly show, ’cause it’s just two blokes having a chat, me and you standing here in the kitchen, and Anne-Marie doing a jigsaw!”
James said they’d be perfectly welcome in his part of the pub in that case.
“To be honest, this would work in my half a pub. We’ve got a fantastic kitchen – you could be in there cooking, I could be out here talking to Jason, Anne-Marie could do her jigsaw in front of the fire!
“Bring it down!”
Earlier in the show, Simon had set Anne-Marie on a complicated puzzle of herself chopping chillies in the kitchen, after she made an innocent remark about enjoying jigsaws.
“I won’t be speaking for the rest of the show!” the pop superstar joked as she got down to business.
Speaking about taking on the business of the pub, James admitted that it “wipes its own face” while open – but loses money while closed.
“I don’t run it,” the star explained. “I hired a manager, a businessman from Yorkshire. But it costs money just to be there.”
Elsewhere in the programme, Simon gained the cheeky Love Island nickname ‘Randy Rimmer’, as commentator Iain Stirling appeared on the show via video link to chat about his role.
He was set up with his original Love Island recording microphone, and put plenty of reverb on the mic to announce: “Randy Rimmer is entering the villa” – and leaving the studio panel in hysterics.
Sunday Brunch airs from 9:30am each Sunday on Channel 4.
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .
- First RAF plane FINALLY takes off to collect PPE from Turkey - as Istanbul hits back and says UK only asked for PPE on SUNDAY
- After Strictly's Kelvin Fletcher and Oti Mabuse enjoyed TWO late-night outings, sexpert Tracey Cox reveals why physical closeness and body transformations lead so many people to date (or cheat!) on TV talent shows
- Matt Hancock ridiculed for say carers will get a 'badge of honour' for their coronavirus-fighting efforts - and the one he 'announced' was first unveiled almost a YEAR ago
- Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid tear into Tory minister over 'shameful' PPE failings
- Vampires, Cops, and Aliens: More Rolling Stone Staff Picks for Quarantine Viewing
- Inside Emily Atack's cosy new home complete with pink statement sofa, rustic fireplace, whitewashed boudoir and plenty of plants... as star soldiers on through lockdown alone
- 'I begged the paramedic, but they left': Husband of Filipino nurse, 50, who worked for NHS for 18 years tells how ambulance crew refused to take her to hospital... nine days before she died of coronavirus after he drove her himself
- Deep water
- After the duck house … where MPs’ expenses went next
- World Cup 2010: Germany v England – as it happened
- Desperately happy housewives! These high-flying women had never cleaned the loo before or cooked a roast dinner ... but the coronavirus lockdown has forced them to swap meetings for Marigolds - and they just love it
Simon Rimmer says Sunday Brunch 'isn't proper TV show' in bizarre swipe have 687 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.