“This is an extremely dangerous statement. It contains an undisguised threat of using force. Obviously, this is an attempt to shift the responsibility for a possible escalation where it does not belong … Increasing US presence in close proximity to Russian borders is the root cause of the growing tensions,” Grushko said.
The diplomat expressed the belief that restoration of professional military contacts between Russia and NATO could reduce risks of military incidents.
US Naval Forces Europe-Africa Commander Robert Burke claimed recently that Russia is “baiting” the United States into “shooting first” in the Black Sea. The admiral stressed this will not happen “without provocation.”
Burke said that both US and NATO fleets operate in the Black Sea “as often as we can.”
The deployment of warships in the Black Sea seeks to ensure “peace through presence,” Burke added.
Earlier, the Russian military had reported a major escalation in NATO drilling and reconnaissance activity in the Black Sea in recent weeks.
- Vladimir Putin consoles exposed Russian spies with 'singalong'
- FBI releases papers on Russian spy ring that involved Anna Chapman
- On Eve of French Presidential Election, Macron Campaign Claims It Was Hacked
- Me too! Ronan Farrow claims National Enquirer's parent company AMI sent him and other journalists 'blackmail' emails to kill stories - as Jeff Bezos naked selfie extortion row with tabloid boils over
- Beijing opens maritime rescue base in South China Sea
- South China Sea: Philippines says Chinese vessels have left Scarborough Shoal following Duterte visit
- Mani Shanker Aiyar slams envoys who claimed to have seen signs of normalcy in J&K
- Just one in 20 Black Friday ‘deals’ are cheapest on the day, Which? claims
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Trump’s Coronavirus Response Similar to ‘Unrepentant Nazi’s’ in ‘Hunters’
- Best Hits: Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov's Greatest Achievements and Public Gaffes as He Turns 70
- Trump administration pushing fiscal stimulus in response to coronavirus crisis
- Trump Endorses Putin Proposal to Have Russian Operatives Work on Mueller Probe
- China's coronavirus blame game now shifts to Italy
- Trump Might Fire His Top Diplomat for Always Pushing for Diplomacy
- China's coronavirus aid seeking to shift narrative away from Beijing's cover-up, experts say
- The Russian Dolls have transformed figure skating. But at what cost?
- At Least 5 Arab Nations Cut Diplomatic Ties With Qatar
- Fight against COVID-19 sees Vietnam strengthen ASEAN Chairmanship role
- 2020 Daily Trail Markers: Coronavirus takes economic toll, unemployment claims show
- TJMaxx, Marshals and IKEA close all US stores due to coronavirus pandemic - as experts warn that millions across America could lose their jobs after unemployment claims skyrocket by 70,000 in a week
Russian Diplomat Sees US Claims Regarding Black Sea as Attempt to Shift Responsibility have 412 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.