“Throughout the year, the Lebanese authorities' relentless efforts to shield officials from scrutiny have repeatedly hampered the course of the investigation. Authorities dismissed the first judge appointed to the investigation after he summoned political figures for questioning, and have so far rejected the new investigative judge's requests to lift MPs' immunity and to question senior members of the security forces in connection with the tragedy,” the group said in a press release.
Instead of the promised swift investigation, the government has “brazenly blocked and stalled justice at every turn, despite a tireless campaign for justice and criminal accountability by survivors and families of victims,” Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa at Amnesty International Lynn Maalouf was quoted as saying.
In June, the rights group, along with over 50 Lebanese and international organisations, appealed to the UN Human Rights Council , asking to launch an international investigation into the blast, for example, dispatch a one-year fact-finding mission.
Roughly a year ago, the port of Beirut was rocked by a powerful blast, as 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate wiped out much of the port and surrounding neighbourhoods, leaving over 200 people dead and thousands of others injured. Ahead of the one-year anniversary of the blast on 4 August, Amnesty International said that the government did nothing to help the investigation into the incident.
- Lebanese help each other as economic crisis crushes lives
- Iraq stampede kills at least 31 people as militant group Hezbollah issues new warning to Israel
- Senior Labour figures are accused of interfering in anti-Semitism probes as party member claims she was told 'Hitler did not go far enough' during meetings
- CBI takes over probe into Yamuna Expressway scam in Mayawati, Akhilesh Yadav regimes
- Breaking: Nnamdi Kanu breaks silence, says British govt ‘worst enemy’ of Nigeria
- From PMC Bank to Malegaon blasts: what kept Mumbai courts busy this year
- Elite German state police accused of funneling ammunition to 'Prepper' scene
- Trump accuses New York and California of incompetence over their 'record-breaking' homeless problems and insists they should 'politely' ask for his help
- Bhima Koregaon probes take different trajectories
- Dramatic moment demonstrators bring Billingsgate Fish Market to a standstill as animal rights activists chain themselves to the front gates
- Mayor Khan: ‘I Can’t Solve London Knife Crime,’ Blames Right Wingers
- Greta Thunberg's father Svante says he thought the 16-year-old's eco-crusade was a 'bad idea' and describes how she stopped talking for months with depression as she says speaking with Donald Trump would be a 'waste of time'
- RICHARD KAY: This year's is the Queen's most painful message yet - and every picture you can see in the background tells the story of why
- Media at a flashpoint: 2019 year in review
- PICTURED: Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn and his wife celebrate New Year's Eve in their Lebanon home after he fled Tokyo house arrest 'in a double bass case' - while his Japan properties are raided and four pilots who helped him are arrested
- Car boss won't face the music: Former Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn is holed up at his mansion in Beirut protected by private security guards after fleeing £65million corruption charges in Japan by sneaking out of the country inside a musical instrument case
- Did Trump Obstruct Justice? Chapter and Verse
- Trump slams 'bulls---' accusations in Mueller report
- Carlos Ghosn flies to Lebanon, blasts ‘rigged’ Japanese justice
- Israel accuses Iran after seven tourists die in coach bomb blast
Rights Group Accuses Lebanese Gov't of Obstructing Probe Into Last Year's Beirut Blast have 550 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.