A petition calling for Prince Harry to ask the Queen to suspend his royal titles has had 75,000 people sign it – passing the huge landmark just days after the Duke of Sussex announced his upcoming book deal.
On July 19, Harry announced he had been working on a new book , set to be released in late 2022.
The memoir is expected to cover his life from childhood to the present day and could include even more Royal Family bombshells.
But in the same week as the announcement, a petition set up by Lady Colin Campbell urging Harry’s titles to be put into abeyance, meaning they would go into a state of temporary disuse or suspension, hit 75,000 signatures.
The Change.org petition states: “The purpose is to invite Prince Harry to voluntarily ask The Queen to put his royal style, titles and rank into abeyance, thereby freeing him from the diplomatic, political and constitutional constraints that are an inevitable part of royal rank, and further freeing him from the constitutional conflicts which his beliefs are creating, with all their implications at home and abroad, in particular in the United Kingdom and the United States of America, where his articulated beliefs are in open conflict with the accepted tenets of both the United Kingdom and American Constitutions.
“As a purely private citizen, with no royal rank, style or title, he will be able to indulge his personal beliefs, as is the right of all private citizens, without the consequential possibility of damaging the institution of the Monarchy or relations between Friendly Powers, and will be free to articulate beliefs, no matter how objectionable, without the fallout that is otherwise inevitable as long as he possesses royal status.
“His invitation to The Sovereign, being of his own accord, will resolve conflicts that would otherwise be inevitable, and will permit him to enjoy the credit of having put both national and international interests above his own, personal ones, in the process gaining him respect that he otherwise will not enjoy.”
People signing the petition this week have written: “Disgraceful behaviour for two adults, bad example for others, especially for the Queen and their cultural heritage.”
Another wrote: “Their behaviour is unacceptable!”
A third added: “I’m signing this petition because I think Prince Harry and his wife have stepped way over the mark in their denigration of our wonderful Royal Family which they left of their own free will.”
Former I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! contestant Lady C previously told the Daily Star it would be “the right thing to do” for Harry to request his titles are temporarily suspended to “humiliate no-one and protect everyone”.
The royal expert believes Harry and wife Meghan Markle would still be able to “sell their brand” without the royal titles.
For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here
Lady C said: “It is the best solution because it frees Harry to be able to indulge himself without consequence and without doing damage to the institution of the monarchy of the British nation, the British people and himself.
Harry and Meghan on January 8 last year that they would step back from senior positions within the Firm following talks at Sandringham with Prince Charles , Prince William, and the Queen.
The petition is available to sign on Change.org .
The Daily Star has contacted a representative of Prince Harry for comment.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'quite likely' to lose HRH titles, experts claim
- How Prince Harry ‘copying’ Fergie in his woke ‘raindrop’ speech is the latest sign he’s following in her footsteps
- Amid dipping ratings, viewership and toxic workplace allegations, Ellen Degeneres buys $49 million house in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s neighbourhood
- 'What if every single one of us was a raindrop?': Prince Harry asks 'what's the point of bringing children into the world if it's on fire' but says we can beat climate change by 'relieving the parched ground'
- Old Etonians slam 'woke agenda' at elite school after English tutor was sacked in 'gender roles' lecture row as 2,500 ex pupils sign petition calling for him to be reinstated
- Meghan and Harry latest: Duchess of Sussex ‘most popular UK royal in the world’ ahead of the Queen and Kate
- Meghan & Harry latest – The Crown ‘could DESTROY royals’ reputation forever unless Netflix admits it’s fiction’
- Where to next? Kate Middleton and Prince William are pictured waiting on the platform to board the royal train as they continue their three-day tour across the UK
- Kate's Christmas cheer! Duchess of Cambridge brings a smile to children's faces as she and Prince William arrange for schoolchildren to meet reindeer and enjoy saxophone performance on royal train tour
- Here we go again: The US could start losing jobs very soon
- Nicola Sturgeon tried to stop Kate Middleton and Prince William’s visiting Scotland on Royal train due to Covid
- Kate Middleton meets pensioner phone friend who calls her 'love' on Royal Train tour
- Things to do this February half term - 30 ideas for the kids including cheap days out
- Amber Heard goes horseback riding with her girlfriend... as a petition to have her removed from Aquaman 2 surpasses 1.5m signatures amid fallout from court battle with ex Johnny Depp
- PIERS MORGAN: And the Duke and Duchess of Sussex 'Wokie' award for most hypocritical, virtue-signalling public figures of the year goes to… Meghan and Harry!
- The Royal Wedding was a modest affair... apart from the fashion chaos: Thats the waspish verdict of ROY STRONG, who had a ringside seat at Prince William's marriage to Kate Middleton - as he reveals in the second part of his mischievous new memoirs
- Prince Charles has always been there for me... but I can't invite him to my wedding: She was Princess Diana's bridesmaid. Now, aged 53 - and after several painful setbacks - India Hicks tells why she has finally agreed to be a bride herself
- 'The people who went to Eton can't run this country': Danny Dyer lays into Boris Johnson and clique 'who all went to same school' in rant on Covid-hit UK - and says it's 'time for working class people to get involved' in leadership
- The Best Music Books of 2020
- Disney+ Programming: Here’s What Was Announced Or Confirmed For Streamer During Disney Investor Day
Petition calling for Prince Harry to lose title hits 75k days after book deal have 1065 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.