A self-described COVID-sceptic group, Querdenken, organized the Sunday demonstrations against coronavirus-related restrictions. Protests were held despite a current ban by Berlin authorities.
“As of now, nearly 600 people have been detained,” Cablitz told Sputnik late on Sunday, explaining that this includes both those temporarily detained for identification purposes, as well as people who had committed serious violations.
According to the Berlin police spokesman, over 10 law enforcement officers were injured during the illegal Sunday protest. Police forced demonstrators to disperse and blocked city streets and squares to prevent protesters from moving around and assembling into larger groups.
Cablitz estimated that the total number of demonstrators who went out into the streets of Berlin on Sunday was at or over 5,000.
- Fugitive considered ‘armed and dangerous’ fled from officers in Miami Beach, police say
- Death toll in Iraq nears 100 amid violent crackdown on nationwide anti-government protests
- Anti-Trump protesters held a rally in Falmouth. Then they got splashed by a snowplow driver.
- New Zealand Police Say Multiple Deaths in 2 Mosque Shootings in Christchurch
- Group protests Tempe police shooting, fills Tempe City Council meeting
- Jussie Smollett faked attack to better his career, police say
- ‘Empire’ actor faked attack to ‘promote his career,’ police say
- ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett turns self in to face charge, police say
- ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett faked attack to ‘promote his career,’ police say
- Jussie Smollett staged attack to ‘promote his career,’ police say
- Third anti-ICE protest draws largest turnout
- Photos emerge showing Venezuela's 'Death Squad' with lifeless bodies, victims described as anti-government protesters
- “Anti-Gentrification” Protesters Target Austin Creative Alliance
- Senate vaccine hearings spark anti-vaccine protest in Utah
- Man who killed 5 five in Illinois shooting spree was being fired from job, police say
- Suspect in Denver City Hall threat identified as a person in “crisis,” police say
- Deaths from anti-government protests in Iraq reach at least 65
- Police say 5 killed in suburban Chicago shooting
- Dying mother tells officer her 13-year-old son was her attacker, Garden Grove police say
- Police say actor Smollett staged Chicago attack to advance career
Nearly 600 People Detained During Anti-Lockdown Protests in Berlin, Police Say have 322 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.