RIYAD MAHREZ showed he is in no mood to be squeezed out by Jack Grealish as he continued his impressive pre-season.
The champions are preparing to spend £100million on the Aston Villa captain to add to Pep Guardiola's array of midfield options.
But the £60m Algerian ace has picked up where he left off last season over the past week.
He scored a trademark free-kick against Preston on Tuesday and was on the mark here too – as well as having a hand in two other goals.
Kevin de Bruyne only returned to the club on Thursday and he turned up to watch his team-mates – wearing an eye-catching lumberjack shirt.
Whatever happens with Grealish – it won't be the Belgian superstar facing the axe.
Mahrez is determined it won't be him either and he created the first goal when his cross from the right took out keeper Brad Collins and Sam Edozie tapped in.
The former Leicester man is clearly in the groove ahead of the meeting with his old club at Wembley on Saturday.
He linked up with Joao Cancelo who teed up another youngster Ben Knight to score.
Mahrez then helped himself to a goal when he got on the end of Benjamin Mendy's cross to sweep home at the back post.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
Most read in Football
There could have been a fourth before the break but Cole Palmer saw his penalty saved by Collins in the Tykes goal.
Defender Nathan Ake got in on the act after the break when he stabbed home after a scramble in the box.
Guardiola was able to give first team stars Ilkay Gundogan and Oleks Zinchenko a run-out in the second half after they returned to training in midweek.
Dream Team 2021/22
PLAY DREAM TEAM FOR THE 2021/22 SEASON!
- £100,000 in prize money up for grabs
- £50million budget to build your best XI
- Play in Mini Leagues against your mates, colleagues, etc
- Click here to play for FREE
- Dream Team app available through Apple Store and Google Play Store
- Premier League XI based on stats shows Man Utd need Jack Grealish transfer and Liverpool’s weakness is in midfield
- EPL PIX: Relentless Man City extend lead at top; United draw at Southampton
- Man Utd Transfer Centre takeover Q&A - James Cooper answers your questions
- Solskjaer ready to axe FIVE Man Utd stars in transfer clearout including Lingard, Jones and Sanchez this summer
- Ranking MLB's top 100 players with 2020 season on hold: Cole, deGrom battle for top pitcher's spot
- Cornish locals block roads to visitors and motorhome is stopped on way to Lake District as second home owners continue to flock to rural areas during coronavirus lockdown amid fears of tourist influx over 75F Easter weekend
- Wonders Down Under: New Zealand Prime Minister declares the country is beating coronavirus and prepares to lift strict lockdown in a week as Australian measures squash curve as well
- The coronavirus epidemic is putting indie developers in an even tougher spot
- Italians extend lockdown across the WHOLE country after death toll leaps by 97 in one day to 463... as travel is restricted, people are told not to go out at night and nation's premier says 'there won't be a red zone... there'll just be Italy'
- Cuomo says FEMA must step in and buy antibody tests for the states to avoid the same 'bidding war' that happened over ventilators as New York deaths rise by 778 to 10,834 but hospitalizations continue to slow down
- Premier League: 10 games to go, 10 things to know - title race, Europe, relegation and more
- Which Premier League players make stats-based XI for 2019/20 so far?
- The Best Xbox One Games Of All Time (April 2020)
- Coronavirus live updates: California health worker infections more than double in six days
- Coronavirus live updates: Newsom says California amassing masks, may share with other states
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - US officials expect 'saddest week,' glimmers of COVID-19 relief
- Coronavirus live updates: Sailors cleaning coronavirus-stricken carrier lack protective gear
- Andrew Cuomo Takes Charge
- X-factor for each NBA team: No more Warriors blanket for Harrison Barnes
- Two Hours Daily to Sanitize, Two Hours to Cry
Man City 4 Barnsley 0: Riyad Mahrez continues red-hot form as he prepares to fight with Jack Grealish for starting spot have 784 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.