Each day, ABC News will give you a roundup of key Olympic moments from the day’s events in Tokyo, happening 13 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern Standard Time. After a 12-month delay, the unprecedented 2020 Summer Olympics is taking place without fans or spectators and under a state of emergency due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Caeleb Dressel joins elite club with 5 gold medals
Caeleb Dressel pulled in two more gold medals today, first in the men’s 50m freestyle, an all-out spring that took Dressel 21.07 seconds to complete. In the last race of the evening, Dressel led Team USA to still more glory in the 4x100m medley relay. Dressel completely swept the sprint events and has become the fifth swimmer to win at least five gold medals at one Olympic Games
Dressel’s teammate Bobby Finke won his second gold medal in the men’s 1500, finishing with a blazing finishing kick that has been his trademark in these Games.
Mykayla Skinner wins silver after replacing Biles, Sunisa Lee takes Bronze
Mykayla Skinner, who replaced Biles after she withdrew from the vault competition won the silver medal, just days after she announced the end of her elite gymnastics career on Instagram after failing to qualify in the finals. Simone Biles also withdrew from the floor exercise finals, but it is still to be determined if she will compete in the balance beam.
Team USA’s Sunisa Lee took the bronze in the uneven bars, and now has a gold, silver and bronze medal to show for the 2020 Olympics.
COVID-19 cases at Tokyo Olympics rise to 264
There were 18 newly confirmed cases of COVID-19 at the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday, including one athlete who was at the Olympic Village at the time of the positive test. The total now stands at 246, according to data released by the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee.
The surrounding city of Tokyo reported 3,058 new cases on Sunday, a 7-day average increase of 213.6%, according to data released by the Tokyo metropolitan government.
Xander Schauffele takes home gold in golf
The American golfer Xander Schauffele won the gold medal in men’s individual after he was tied for the lead with two holes to play. This win is even more special for Schauffele, whose mother was raised in Japan and whose grandparents are residents of Tokyo.
Alexander Zverev wins men’s Tennis singles
Germany’s Alexander Zverev bested both Jérémy Chardy and Novak Djokovic to make it into the finals where he defeated Karen Khachanov, 6-3, 6-1. Zverev is ranked fifth in the world by Association of Tennis Professionals, but in the 2020 Games in Tokyo he is now officially first.
1st medals given in BMX freestyle, USA’s Hannah Roberts takes silver
Australian Logan Martin of the men’s division and Great Britain’s Charlotte Worthington of the women’s won the first-ever Olympic gold medals in freestyle BMX, while Team USA’s Hannah Roberts took home the silver. The aerial competition was the newest addition to the discipline of cycling, which also includes road racing, track and cross-country.
Olympic tears of joy
Every Olympic Games sees a fair share of tears shed, but this year has been especially emotional — especially for the champions. There is no shortage of hardships in a normal cycle for Olympic greats, but for the pandemic-delayed Tokyo games athletes have also battled through tropical storms, the summer heat and the deafening silence of empty stands.
Perhaps it is this combination, along with the realization of so much training and hard work, that has brought tears to the eyes of so many of the games’ champions.
More scenes from today’s action:
Catch up on the best moments from the previous days’ events
For more Olympics coverage, see: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/Olympics
- Bayern Munich: Martin Tyler shares his memories of the Olympic Stadium and Allianz Arena
- Government tells Sadiq Khan he must ‘ramp up’ Tube services ‘as quickly as possible’ as commuters warn getting to work is like a ‘suicide mission’ and thousands pack onto trains without masks
- ‘I’m turning amateur’: Kiwi athlete Nick Willis laps up new job, reaffirms Tokyo focus
- Women Make Film: A New Road Movie Through Cinema review – paean to neglected talent
- Google's DeepMind predicts 3D shapes of proteins
- Frosh Watch: Take it from LeBron, Trae Young is basketball's must-see player
- Don Mischer On Importance Of Live Events In COVID-19 Era & How We Can Get Audiences Back In Seats – Guest Column
- Talent show: the London fashion week designers to know this season
- Shaquille O'Neal blasts back after Draymond Green criticism, says his Warriors wouldn't contend 'in my era'
- Michael Jordan and 'The Last Dance': Everything you need to know
- Coronavirus in Sport LIVE: Premier League return in June LATEST, Bundesliga build-up, UFC results
- Freshman of the Week: What Texas' Mo Bamba did to edge Oklahoma's Trae Young
- Ranking college basketball's top freshmen: Oklahoma's Trae Young the best so far
- Chin-ups, crunches keep hockey captain Manpreet Singh in form during lockdown
- Coronavirus in Sport LIVE: Premier League vote on Monday, Bundesliga build-up, League Two set to cancel
- Inside Zara Tindall's Royal Life: Not a Princess, but Not Exactly Normal
Key moments from the Olympic Games: Day 9 have 909 words, post on abcnews.go.com at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.