Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett says the country has evidence that Iran was behind the attack on the oil tanker off Oman. Bennett said Israeli security forces saw information that reportedly proves Tehran was responsible for the assault, before issuing a veiled threat to the Islamic Republic .
“We expect the international community will make it clear to the Iranian regime that they have made a serious mistake. In any case, we know how to send a message to Iran in our own way”, the prime minister said.
Earlier today, The Times of Israel reported that Israeli authorities had provided intelligence information on the attack to the United States and the United Kingdom.
Bennett's statement was echoed by UK Foreign Minister Dominic Raab, who said that it is highly likely that Iran attacked the vessel. The assault was carried out by one or two unmanned aerial vehicles, Raab said. The UK Foreign Ministry has issued a statement saying the country is working with its partners on a “concerted response” to the attack.
THe MV Mercer Street, operated by the London-based company Zodiac Maritime was en route from Tanzania to the United Arab Emirates. It came under attack late at night on 30 July when it was near Oman. The details of the attack remain unclear.
However, US Central Command said in a statement on Saturday that the vessel was hit by a drone. It ostensibly hit the tanker’s bridge, where the captain and crew command the vessel, a US official, who spoke of condition of anonymity, told Al Jazeera. As mentioned earlier, two people – a British national and a Romanian citizen – were killed as a result of the attack.
Zodiac Maritime is owned by Israeli billionaire Eyal Offer. Tel Aviv immediately put the blame for the attack on Iran, with Tehran denying responsibility and dismissing the claim as “baseless”.
“It’s not the first time that the Zionist regime occupying Jerusalem has made such empty accusations against the Islamic Republic of Iran. Wherever this regime has gone, it has taken instability, terror, and violence with it”, said Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh.
The attack is now being investigated by Britain, Israel, and the United States.
In recent months, both Israeli and Iranian-owned ships have been damaged, with the two countries trading accusations. There has also been a series of malfunctions and explosions at Iranian facilities this year, which Tehran blamed on its enemies – Israel and the United States.
Tensions remain high between the two nations, with Israel opposing the Biden administration’s decision to revive the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action , commonly known as the Iran nuclear deal. Israel has argued that the accord paves the way for Iran to develop nuclear weapons. The Islamic Republic has insisted that its nuclear programme is intended for peaceful purposes only.
- Syria Vows Israel Will 'Pay a Price' Over Oil Tanker Attacks
- Benjamin Netanyahu hits out at 'dangerous left-wing' deal to oust him as Israeli PM
- Israeli minister sticks to Iran 'environmental terror' claim
- Israel's PM-Designate Bennett Says His Government to Expand Peace Deals With Arab States
- Long-Planned and Bigger Than Thought: Strike on Iran’s Nuclear Program
- Fires Sink Iran’s Largest Warship and Ravage Big Refinery
- Iran profile - timeline
- The bad news about Iran's presidential candidates
- Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu ousted from office as ultra-nationalist Naftali Bennett takes control
- Large Iran naval ship sinks after fire in Gulf of Oman
- Iran Says It 'Cut Off U.S. Hand' in Persian Gulf As New Navy Encounter Emerges
- Iran Plans to Equip Islamic Revolution Guard Corps With Domestically-Built Subs, Reports Say
- Israel’s Shadow War With Iran Moves Out to Sea
- Netanyahu takes brutal swipe at Biden over Iran deal in final speech: 'Must say no to US!'
- Houthis Claim to Have Captured Mossad Spy, Promise Documentary Exposing Israeli Activities in Yemen
- Israel Lobbyist Claims US Return to Iran Nuclear Deal Would Escalate Israel-Hamas Conflict
- Resigned to a nuclear deal revival, Gulf engages with foe Iran
- Saudi Arabia says it intercepts missile attack over capital
- Britain has a key role to play in de-escalating tensions between the US and Iran
- Lies on Social Media Inflame Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
Israeli PM Bennett: We Have Evidence That Iran is Behind Attack on Oil Tanker Mercer Street have 680 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.