Trinamool Congress lawmaker Derek O’Brien has criticised the federally ruling National Democratic Alliance led by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for passing several bills without discussing them first in Parliament .
“The government is rushing to pass bills through Parliament at an average time of under seven minutes per bill,” O’Brien tweeted, sarcastically referring to the process to making “papri chaat,” an Indian street snack, which takes a few minutes to prepare.
— Derek O’Brien | ডেরেক ও’ব্রায়েন (@derekobrienmp) August 2, 2021
O’Brien further accused the government of violating the “sanctity of Parliament.”
He raised a similar issue in 2019 when the government passed several bills without putting them up for discussion first.
“Parliament is supposed to scrutinise the bills… So are we delivering pizza or passing Bills?” he wondered in 2019.
— Derek O’Brien | ডেরেক ও’ব্রায়েন (@derekobrienmp) July 31, 2019
Meanwhile, last week Prime Minister Narendra Modi lashed out at the Congress party for disrupting parliamentary proceedings by holding placards with slogans and demanding the government prioritise certain issues, including investigating the alleged spying on Indian nationals using Pegasus software, last February’s Delhi riots, and farmer protests.
- ET Exclusive: Will make India a better place to do business, says PM Modi
- Entrepreneurs are our 'Growth Ambassadors', will make India a better place to do business, says PM Modi
- Govt to decriminalise 2/3rds of offences under Companies Act
- Govt to form committee for development of minor ports
- Cyclone Aila and Its Aftermath - A Discussion on Subjective Media Coverage
- House Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings passes away at 68
- The Constitution Vs The Declaration of Independence
- Biggest injury questions for all teams
- Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa swearing in ceremony at Raj Bhavan LIVE updates: JD (S) MLAs being shifted to Kochi resort
- Phase cyclic, Congress will emerge stronger: Manish Tewari
- Democrats zero in on Warren at fourth debate
- No question of privatisation of Railways: Piyush Goyal
- Nancy Pelosi thumbs her nose at Trump by making photo of their fiery Syria confrontation her Twitter cover image after he claimed she suffered a 'meltdown' and stormed out - as Democrats praise her for standing up to the President
- 'I think I was excusing myself from the room,' Nancy Pelosi says of THAT photo Donald Trump tweeted from their fiery White House meeting - and hints she wants the audio leaked next
- Arbitration Dilemma: Foreign companies may not like India
- Aadhaar: Everything you need to know about it
- Trump made 129 false claims last week
- Ask Dr. NerdLove: Did I Make A Mistake Getting Married?
- From IDs in grocery stores to soldiers in Syria: Trump made 129 false claims last week
- What you missed while not watching Tuesday’s Democratic presidential debate
Indian Opposition Slams Modi Gov't For Passing '12 Bills in 7 Minutes' Without Discussion have 454 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.