US: Vaccine 'boosting' international travel reveals expert
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
In a direct warning to US President Joe Biden , she insisted travel rules should be "comparable" between the two areas. Her intervention comes after Washington opted to persist with its restrictions on European travellers despite the EU having lifted its own measures in June. Ms von der Leyen said: "We insist that there are comparable rules for travellers in both directions.
"The epidemiological situation in the US and the EU today is very similar.
"The EU lifted entry restrictions for US citizens back in June.
"We have to solve the problem as soon as possible and we are in contact with our American friends. This mustn't drag on for weeks."
In June, the EU added the US to its "green list" for safe non-essential international travel.
Ursula von der Leyen has demanded that Joe Biden drops his ban on EU travellers (Image: GETTY)
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen (Image: GETTY)
It allowed entry to the bloc even for travellers that weren't yet fully vaccinated.
After the announcement, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Washington hoped to lift its own ban as soon as possible.
But it was last week announced that the restrictions on Europeans would be maintained.
It was reported that EU officials said the decision was a "huge disappointment".
US President Joe Biden (Image: GETTY)
Until now, Brussels has refused to publicly condemn the US decision.
A European Commission spokesman last week said: "As you know, we have received reassurances that this is a high priority issue for the US administration.
"We are engaging in good faith with the US.
"Our assessment remains that there is a strong case for the US to reopen to travellers from Europe."
Global COVID-19 stats live (Image: EXPRESS)
Former US President Donald Trump first introduced the travel ban on Europeans but lifted it before losing his place in the White House.
After taking office in January, President Biden reimposed the rules to curb the spread of coronavirus.
Washington has blamed the spread of the Delta variant for keeping the measures in place.
White House press secretary Jen Psaki said: "Driven by the Delta variant, cases are rising here at home, particularly among those who are unvaccinated, and appears likely to continue in the weeks ahead."
DON’T MISS Boris rushes to Scotland as Sturgeon triggers IndyRef2 starting gun [INSIGHT] Tell the EU to negotiate, Nicola! Frost attacks SNP Brexit demands [REVEALED] EU’s ‘really aggressive’ stance leads to pivot on City of London deal [ANALYSIS]
MP Henry Smith: ‘Clarity is needed’ for travelling abroad
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has publicly called on the US to reopen transatlantic travel.
And airlines have urged for the routes to be reopened because restrictions are currently hindering their businesses.
British diplomats have also reached out to Washington in the hope of securing a U-turn on the travel ban.
No10 has relaxed rules to allow fully vaccinated American and European travellers to land in England without quarantine restrictions.
Additional reporting by Monika Pallenberg
- News diary 8-14 October: Royal wedding for Princess Eugenie and Joe Biden to deliver talk at Chatham House
- The Water Wars of Arizona
- Spanish Government Warns of Security Takeover in Catalonia
- The Latest: France’s Le Pen declares victory over Macron
- The Latest: Voter turnout higher in France, Spain, Germany
- Pakistan is Closer Than You Think
- Automakers Understandably Freaking Out Over 'No Deal' Brexit
- The American Presidency
- News diary 10-16 December: Parliament to vote on Theresa May's Brexit deal
- 'Italians first': how the populist right became Italy's dominant force
- Year In Review
- News diary 29 April-5 May: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange due in court for first US extradition hearing
- Islamic State Targets US Convoy in Northeast Syria
- 2018 British Journalism Awards shortlist revealed: 'This is what Dame Cairncross needs to protect'
- Revelation Online soft launch is here! Check out our roundup and trailer
- The siren song of homogeneity
- Transcript of Obama's State of the Union Address
- Europe Faces a Wave of Freed Terror Convicts. Is It Ready?
- The Deadliest Catch
- Fiat Chrysler Claims It Had No Clue Sergio Marchionne Was Seriously Ill for a Year
EU-US travel war erupts: VDL issues warning to Biden to drop ban on Europeans have 793 words, post on www.express.co.uk at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.