Brexit: David Davis warns of ‘three more years’ of negotiations
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Leigh Evans, editor-in-chief of Facts4EU, was commenting on the think tank's latest report, which argues eurocrats have "seized power by patience and stealth", and now enjoy "supreme power over large parts of everyday life for citizens in the EU". Given the chequered history of relations between London and Brussels , the case for quitting the bloc was undeniable, Mr Evans told Express.co.uk.
He said: "Thank goodness the United Kingdom got out of the EU while we still could.
"The history of the EU from its beginnings as the 'European Economic Community' or EEC/Common Market has been one of mission creep.
“Theirs was always a project to absorb member countries into one superstate, as they made clear from the start when they talked of 'ever closer union'.'
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and French President Emmanuel Macron (Image: GETTY)
Boris Johnson has been told the bloc remains a menace to the UK (Image: GETTY)
Back in 1970 when Ted Heath began membership negotiations after the death of French President Charles de Gaulle (who had vetoed the UK's membership three times), the Prime Minister had been well aware of the intention was to create a European superstate, Mr Evans claimed.
The report highlights Mr Heath's insistence that membership of what was then known as the EEC would not compromise British sovereignty in any way.
Additionally, it points to the fact that he was told in writing by his civil servants that accession would involve "a process of fundamental political importance, implying progressive development towards a political union".
Ted Heath, the Tory Prime Minister who took Britain into the EEC (Image: GETTY)
Mr Evans said: "The basic facts of Mr Heath's duplicity are not up for debate as the Cabinet papers were all released 30 years later.
"It's a now a matter of public record, as we detail in our report.
"All we've done is to highlight some of the major steps the EU has been taking along the road to the creation of this superstate, run by an undemocratic and inefficient bureaucracy, controlling vast swathes of the continent, and centralised in Brussels."
DON’T MISS Ken Livingstone slams job losses in huge Brexit debate with Farage [REACTION] Lord Frost to put foot down about ‘no contact with EU’ in SNP talks [UPDATE] Britons back EU goods boycott as Germany suffers – ‘Good work everyone!’ [OPINION]
Lord Andrew Adonis is one of those calling for the UK to rejoin the EU (Image: GETTY)
Lord David Frost, the UK’s Brexit Minister (Image: GETTY)
Mr Evans also emphasised that for anyone who believed in Brexit, it was crucial to understand the forces which led to Britain quitting the bloc, for two specific reasons.
He explained: "Firstly because we have this ideologically-driven empire on our doorstep and we must recognise it for what it is, detach ourselves fully, and then deal with it as best we can.
"Secondly because there is still a hard-core rump of Rejoiners campaigning to take us back in to this sclerotic and dysfunctional 'Projekt'.
Brexit in Express front pages (Image: Express)
"The opportunities for Brexit Britain are opening up all the time.
"The vast majority of our energies should be devoted to these positive things.
"But we still need to spare some time to deal with the side effects caused by a hostile EU since we voted to leave.”
Charles de Gaulle vetoed the UK’s membership three times (Image: GETTY)
He stressed: "If they continue to behave unreasonably, we hope Lord Frost will follow through on his warnings to them.
"Perhaps it will only be then that EU27 citizens will realise what damage the unelected eurocrats in Brussels have been doing to the relationship with the fifth-largest economy of the world that is sitting on their doorstep.
"It's still not too late for them to make their feelings heard."
- Our next-thing news sickness: Why can't we absorb the Donald Trump Jr. news before rushing to the next maybe story?
- Women face creeps like Harvey Weinstein everywhere – not just in Hollywood, writes Anita Hill
- The World Is Ending, Just As It's Always Been
- The Meaning of July 4th for the Negro
- "Get Out" Lets Black Men Be Scared Instead Of Scary
- Inside The World Of ISIS Investigations In Europe
- Beifuss: The Ten Best Movies of 2017 (plus another ten)
- November local music picks for Phoenix: The Maine, AZ Hip Hop Festival, Pistoleros
- November local music picks for Phoenix: The Maine, Pistoleros, Calabrese, Red Tank!
- The Range and Resonance of 2018’s African-American Films
- 11 buzzworthy shows from opening weekend of the Minnesota Fringe Festival
- The Art of Being Foreign
- How to ruin a dinner party
- Did Donald Trump model his fiery Thursday speech after Bill Pullman’s famous rallying cry in ‘Independence Day’?
- The Sex-Trafficking Case Testing the Limits of the First Amendment
- The Dangerous Restaurant
- The 18 most unforgettable films of 2017, from 'Brawl in Cell Block 99' to 'The Shape of Water'
- Can hackers tamper with your vote? Researchers show it’s possible in nearly 30 states
- The Teens Trapped Between a Gang and the Law
- Pixar's 'Coco' takes a lively look at death; Bjork finds 'Utopia'
Escaped just in time! Horror EU plot to 'absorb nations into hostile superstate' exposed have 1046 words, post on www.express.co.uk at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.