Czech Republic: Dozens injured after train crash
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Emergency services have rushed to the scene. Several rescue helicopters have also flown to the crash site. A spokesperson for the ambulance service in Pilsen said two people have been killed. Seven people have been critically injured with a further 31 people being treated for their injuries. The Ex 351 Western Express, which was travelling from Munich in Germany to Prague, collided with the RegioShark passenger train that was heading from Pilsen to Domažlice.
The Czech Republic Police had written on Twitter: “Today, shortly after eight o’clock, two trains collided on the track in the village of Milavče in the Domažlice region. All IRS units on site.
“Dozens of injured people were reported from the scene.
“We help with the evacuation of passengers.
“The situation is monitored from the air by a helicopter of the Czech Police Air Service.”
Czech Republic train crash: Two people have died following a head-on collision (Image: POLICE DEPARTMENT)
Minutes later, the police service wrote: “Unfortunately, at this moment we have confirmed that two people lost their lives at the scene of the railway accident.”
Jaroslav Hrdlička, the fire brigade’s commanding officer, told Czech television: “There was a head-on collision between two trains.
“The recovery was carried out by simple means, we did not have to use hydraulic recovery equipment.
“However, we are trying to ensure entry to the wrecked train cabin.”
Czech Republic train crash: The horrific accident happened early this morning (Image: Fire and Rescue Service of the Pilsen Region)
Fire service spokesman Petr Poncar had earlier said: “The alert has been issued to 11 units.
“The location of the hit is divided into two sections.
“We’ll beam the people off the train.
“There are several dozen injured at the scene.”
DON’T MISS Almost 30% of EU citizens cannot afford week-long holiday [LATEST] Joe Biden health fears: President will resign or be forced out says Dr [COMMENTS] Kim Jong-un executes officer for criticising 'unrealistic' order [REPORT]
Czech Republic train crash: Dozens of people were reported injured (Image: Fire and Rescue Service of the Pilsen Region)
Transport Minister Karel Havlíček, who is heading to the scene, described the situation as “serious”.
He wrote on Twitter: “The Ex 351 train passed a signal in the Stůj position in the Radonice turnout in Domažlice and collided with a passenger train.
“The situation is serious.
“I cancel the whole programme and I am on my way to the scene of the accident.”
Czech Republic train crash: The express train and passenger train collided (Image: POLICE DEPARTMENT)
- Travel lawsuit, train crash among top 10 Washington stories
- Europe shuts its borders: Guards lock down Schengen zone crossings in Spain, Portugal and Switzerland - as EU proposes barring overseas visitors from entering for 30 days
- Global deaths from coronavirus races past 20,000 with 450,000 confirmed cases as 182 countries and territories battle the deadly virus - with 3 BILLION people now in lockdown worldwide
- The world shuts its borders: From Spain to Singapore, thousands of people trying to flee coronavirus chaos are made to queue for miles as countries restrict entry
- Popular remote working tool Microsoft Teams CRASHES in Europe on the first day millions of people login from home to prevent coronavirus spread
- Coronavirus: Germany shuts down borders, halts public life
- Coronavirus travel hell for Brits with 40 MILE queues as Europe agrees to slams its borders shut
- At least four dead and one missing in mystery chopper crash in Norway
- A Train, a Narrow Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- How Jet from Gladiators rebuilt her life after hearing neck ‘snap’ in freak pyramid accident that nearly killed her
- Coronavirus crackdown begins: Police are seen enforcing draconian new powers by shutting shops, breaking up groups of pedestrians and enforcing social distancing in queues on Britain's first day under lockdown
- Britain's coronavirus death toll jumps by 86 to 422 in biggest daily rise yet - so why are people STILL crammed on Tubes and trains and mingling in parks?
- Covid-19: How the deadly virus hints at a looming financial crisis
- The Latest: Hanyu, Yarnold, Ledeska win gold at Olympics
- The Latest: Bjoergen becomes most decorated Winter Olympian
- Hundreds of British tourists arrive in Dover after fleeing Calais on ferries as France goes into lockdown
- Europe locks down 100million: Germany and Poland tighten border controls, France puts limits on public transport and Slovakia declares state of emergency as continent's virus death toll soars towards 2,000
- The Latest: Contrasting games doubles for Hirscher, Fourcade
- Corona stimulus plans overlook 'historic' chance for climate crisis
- Coronavirus latest: Merkel speaks of greatest post-war challenge
Czech Republic train crash: Network shut as 2 dead and several injured in horror accident have 855 words, post on www.express.co.uk at August 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.