A young boy has died after suffering a head injury at an Essex department store.
The five-year-old was rushed to hospital in a critical condition after the incident in Fenwick in Colchester last Tuesday.
Police today said he has died of his injuries.
Colchester's district commander, chief inspector Rob Huddleston said it was 'truly heartbreaking'.
It is understood a mirror fell on the boy inside the High Street store.
The store said it would be closed on Wednesday 'as a mark of respect'.
Fenwick director Mia Fenwick said: 'On behalf of the Fenwick family, and the entire Fenwick team, it is with great sadness we have learned of the passing of a young boy following an incident at our Colchester store last week.
'All our thoughts and prayers are with the child's family and friends at this very painful time.
'We continue to work closely with the local authorities to understand how this happened.
'Our Colchester will remain closed tomorrow as a mark of respect.'
Essex Police said officers were called by the ambulance service at around 11.30am and administered first aid alongside store staff and customers.
Mr Huddleston said: 'I know I speak for all of my teams when I say that we are extremely saddened by today's news.
'This is a truly heartbreaking incident and all of our thoughts are with the boy's loved ones.
'On behalf of my attending officers, I would also like to thank the members of the public and store staff who went above and beyond to assist us.
'We are extremely grateful for your help.'
Specialist officers are continuing to support the boy's family.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .
For more stories like this, check our news page .
Sign Up for News Updates
Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Not convinced? Find out more »
- Orchard Park cop suffers head injury, 2 others hurt in crash
- Texas sheriff's deputy dies after found with head injuries
- Boy, 4, injured in ATV accident, wasn't wearing helmet
- Bicyclist suffers major injuries in South San Francisco crash
- One of Maine’s top Nordic skiers dies in Turner farm accident
- Recent Leavitt grad dies in Nezinscot Farm accident
- 4-week-old boy dies in N.J. car crash
- 4-week-old boy dies in N.J. after car crashes into a pole
- Hudson woman found with head injury at Utica college dies
- Children Left to Die in Hot Cars: Accident or Murder?
- Cyclist suffered multiple injuries in Saturday crash
- Washington state cyclist dies after Montana highway accident
- Texas sheriff's sergeant dies after found with head injuries
- 9-year-old boy dies after being pulled from Hopkinton lake
- Canby boy dies after being run over
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute student found with head injury in room has died, college says
- NH Child Dies in Tire Swing Accident
- 2-year-old boy dies days after he was pulled from Arlington pool
- Minivan driver dies in head-on crash in Rochester
- Officer, motorist suffer minor injuries in east Las Vegas crash
Boy, 5, dies after suffering head injury in ‘accident’ at department store have 537 words, post on metro.co.uk at August 3, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.