President Biden is meeting with Cuban American activists at the White House Friday, after weeks of Cubans taking to the streets to protest their communist government leadership. The president will discuss the historic demonstrations and the Biden administration’s response to them, including new sanctions on Cuban leaders and establishing internet access for the Cuban people, according to a White House official.
Cubans who exercised their speech in the most widespread protests in decades are now facing mass trials. At the White House, protestors calling to “free Cuba” have camped outside, urging the Biden administration to do more.
How to watch Biden’s meeting with Cuban American activists
What : President Biden meets with Cuban American activists at the White House
Date: Friday, July 30, 2021
Time: 4:45 p.m. ET
Location: The White House
The president is expected to meet with with L. Felice Gorordo, CEO, eMerge Americas, & co-founder, Roots of Hope; Yotuel Romero, lead singer of the Orishas; Ana Sofia Pelaez, Founder, Miami Freedom Project; and former Miami mayor Mayor Manny Diaz. One of Romero’s songs has become a rallying cry for Cuban protestors.
The White House official said the White House has already held several meetings with Cuban American leaders and members of Congress. Earlier this month, the president ordered the State Department to create a working group to review U.S. remittance policy to make sure money Cuban Americans send home makes it directly into the hands of their families without the Cuban regime taking a cut.
CBS News’ Kathryn Watson, Kristin Brown and Fin Gomez contributed to this report.
Note: Streaming plans are subject to change
- GOP Senate candidates Kevin Nicholson, Leah Vukmir meet with conservative activists
- WATCH LIVE TONIGHT: AHCA at forefront of MacArthur town hall
- Loesch Hits Back at Black Lives Matter & 'Discriminatory' Women's March Activists
- Watch the live stream for President Obama’s final State of the Union Address here
- Activists on both sides still await President Trump’s reset with Cuba
- President Obama, Cuba President Raul Castro meet at United Nations for first time
- Joe Biden won't slow down after official exit
- Kaufman says Biden is nearing a decision
- American flag flies at U.S. Embassy in Havana for first time since 1961
- In speech to Cubans, Obama seeks to bury Cold War rivalry
- Delaware welcomes Joe Biden home
- On 2nd anniversary, Cubans race to sign U.S. contracts to secure opening
- Trump aide: Cuba has work to do to 'meet our demands'
- 'That's Irrelevant': NYC Dem, Pro-Israel Activist Battle Over Linda Sarsour Speech
- Cuban Field of Dreams: Obama decision on Cuba opens up new world for baseball stars
- Gutfeld to Black Lives Matter: 'Why Should Whites Talk to You If You Think Whites Are All Bad?'
- WATCH: Ingraham Squares Off With Imam Over Muslim Activist Who Called For 'Jihad' Against Trump
- Sanders sounds conciliatory note after meeting with Obama, but still hasn't dropped out of race
- Facebook Live, Periscope have big U.S. political moment with House sit-in
- Rudy Giuliani spars with African-American critic, says he’s not racist and has saved lives of black people
Watch Live: Biden to meet with Cuban American activists have 513 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.