A man who drowned during a trip to the beach was “amazing” and “always smiling”, his family said.
Hamza Mansoor, who was 21 and from Stoke-on-Trent, was one of five friends who got in to difficulties at Crosby beach, Merseyside, on Tuesday. He died a short time after being pulled from the sea.
His family said the people who helped in the rescue attempts were “heroes”.
Stoke-on-Trent’s City Central Mosque said Mr Mansoor’s death was “tragic”.
Merseyside Police said the coastguard, RNLI, firefighters, police and ambulance service were all involved in the operation to rescue the men, who were in their 20s, and three were taken to hospital,
Mr Mansoor was also known as Hamza Kayani.
A statement from his family said: “Hamza’s tragic death is a huge loss for our family, his friends and the community of Stoke-on-Trent.
“He had a warm and bubbly personality for which he will be fondly remembered.”
They thanked “all the heroes at Crosby Beach who tried their best to save Hamza and his friends”.
“Due to their actions, many families have been spared the heartache we are going through,” they added.
The mosque said prayers had been held for Mr Mansoor and said it was “saddened to hear about the loss of life and especially when they are so young”.
Leaders urged people to be careful of going into open water.
Related Internet Links
- Man, 35, is charged with the murders of mother and daughter who were found with shot dead at their seaside townhouse in St Leonards
- Married couple are buried alive when cliff collapses on top of them at Brazilian beach - as rescuers find seven-month-old still breathing in mother's arms before he too passes away
- Edwina Currie mourns as her 'fun' former Met police detective husband John Jones dies of cancer aged 79
- Tributes to Attah brothers at 82 and 84
- Paul Bettany shines in a classy road trip movie that suddenly loses its way: BRIAN VINER reviews Uncle Frank
- Toothless tiger who stole the nation's heart: Nobby Stiles, who has died aged 78, was the most unlikely 1966 World Cup hero, but why did he end up so poor he had to sell his England shirt?
- Guinness heiress, 19, dies in pool tragedy: Family mourn ’darling angel’ whose organs have saved four lives after freak accident at summer barbecue
- Second Tory MP stokes free school meals fury: Selaine Saxby hints firms giving food to children should NOT get government help after Ben Bradley suggested cash went to 'crack dens and brothels' - as ministers double down on refusal to fund scheme
- Woman, 30s, ‘murdered’ in Stoke home as man, 35, arrested in connection with her death
- Stay off the beaches? NO CHANCE! Thousands flout social-distancing to soak up 95F as desperate police turn back staycationers after councils begged tourists to steer clear following 'bedlam' yesterday
- John Travolta's touching tribute to late wife Kelly Preston as she dies from breast cancer
- 'A loving, gentle giant': Brother makes heartfelt tribute following death of NRL rising star Keith Titmuss
- Euphoria’s Sydney Sweeney shows off fit figure in thong bikini as mystery man grabs her butt on the beach
- Alan Rickman tributes: ‘Behind his careless elegance... there was a superhero’
- Biden's beach hideaway has political sun shining on Rehoboth
- Joe Biden’s Delaware Beach Hideaway Has Political Sun Shining On Rehoboth
- Trump CANCELS annual Thanksgiving trip to Mar-a-Lago and will stay in chilly DC amid desperate bid to overturn election
- How soprano singer MP who beat Ed Balls was inspired to enter politics after seeing her father die from MRSA he contracted in NHS hospital
- 'Rock on Bobby': Tommy Cannon fights back tears at funeral of comedy partner Bobby Ball after his death aged 76 as mourners pay tribute with his trademark red braces
- Dean Jones remembered with a lap of MCG
Tributes to Stoke-on-Trent man who died on trip to beach have 722 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at July 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.