Thyroid cancer: Know the symptoms
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Thyroid cancer is a rare type of cancer that affects the thyroid gland. It start when abnormal cells in the thyroid gland start divide and grow in an uncontrolled way. The thyroid gland makes hormones that help regulate the metabolism, heart rates, blood pressure and body temperature.
Douglas Ross, co-director of Thyroid Associated at Massachusetts General Hospital, said: "Many thyroid tumours today are discovered unexpected when a patients is being checked for another problem.
"A tumour may be spotted during an imaging test such as a chest or neck CT, or a neck MRI.
"The imagine has got so much better that we're used to picking up cancers decades earlier than we used to."
An individual patient's survival rate depends on what kind of thyroid cancer they have. Here are some of the most common signs of thyroid cancer.
Lumps and swelling in your neck:
Changes in the thyroid's gland size and shape can often be felt or seen by patients or by their doctor.
A lump or sweeping near the base of the best is the most common symptom of thyroid cancer.
According to studies, up to half of all people over the age of 60 have some type of thyroid nodule, and only a small percentage turn out to be cancerous tumours.
Lumps in the thyroid area and neck are usually benign.
Swelling to the throat can be a sign of thyroid cancer (Image: Getty)
Tumours located at the back of the oesophagus can make it difficult to swallow.
Patients describe a tightness, that makes it difficult to follow swallow solids life bread and meat.
An enlarged thyroid gland that is not cancer is called a goitre.
This swelling appears as a lump at the front of the neck which sometimes goes up and down when swallowing.
Signs of cancer to look out for, according to the NHS (Image: EXPRESS.CO.UK )
Hoarseness that persists
The nerves that controls vocal cords run alongside the trachea near the thyroid.
If cancer spreads to the vocal cords it can affect the quality of the voice.
Jonathan Russel, Director of the Multi-Disciplinary Thyroid Tumour Centre at Johns Hopkins Medicine, said: "Occasional temporary voice changes are usually not a cause for concern.
"But a severe change in your voice when you're not sick is a change you should see a doctor right away."
Shortness of breath and coughing are two signs of thyroid cancer (Image: Getty )
Chronic cough or shortness of breath
If a thyroid tumour is large enough, it can push against the windpipe, causing coughing or shortness of breath.
Although tumours rarely grow to such sizes, it may be a sign of a more aggressive form of thyroid cancer that has started to invade other structures.
A person's risk of developing cancer depends on many factors including age, genetics, and exposure to risk factors.
Nine percent of thyroid cancer in the UK are preventable.
- Apathy and lack of motivation in your mid-forties could be an early warning sign of dementia, study suggests
- Doctor who turned down radiotherapy believes plant based diet keeps her cancer free
- New combination treatment for blood cancer may 'dramatically improve' patients' chances of survival when the disease has spread to their brains
- Experimental cancer pill derived from a poisonous plant could stop Covid in its tracks, scientists say
- Global average temperature IS warmer today than it has been at any point in the past 10,000 years, study shows
- One in three women missed smear tests in Covid lockdown – putting them at risk of cancer
- China ignores new trade minister's letter for a MONTH after he tried to ease trade tensions
- 'Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Star Denise Richards Credits Gluten Free-Diet For Reduced Thyroid
- Risk of ADHD may increase if expectant mother has autoimmune disorder, study says
- Breast cancer has overtaken lung cancer to become the most deadly form of the disease worldwide for the first time, data reveals
- SAGE experts 'tried to get No10 to close borders WEEKS ago over South African variant': Boris Johnson is accused of ignoring warnings as surge testing starts in eight postcodes in desperate battle to contain virus strain
- Brits ignore health issues thinking they're 'too young' to worry, study finds
- Is the Kent variant REALLY deadlier than original Covid strains? Symptom-tracking study claims mutated virus does not alter symptoms, severity or duration of illness
- Up to 100 kids a week admitted to hospital with Kawasaki-like Covid disease
- I wanted to kill myself as I battled to cope with the burden of cancer in my teens
- BREAST CANCER: Be aware, informed not afraid
- Europe's second wave keeps rising as Angela Merkel warns Germans 'difficult months are ahead' and Italy considers closing schools again after both countries posted record case totals
- Top infectious disease expert warns the next 6 to 12 weeks will be the ‘darkest of the entire pandemic’ as he blasts Scott Atlas’ herd immunity claims as ‘pixie dust’
- Stress during pregnancy may harm unborn baby's brain, studies find
- The secret signs your lockdown drinking is dangerous – from dreading looking at your phone to feeling guilty
Thyroid cancer: Warning signs of the disease you shouldn’t ignore, according to a study have 1031 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 20, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.