Sky TV plans to remove a popular channel in September, replacing it with two all-new options (Image: SKY • EXPRESS NEWSPAPERS)
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Sky is deleting a popular entertainment channel for all customers, including those who watch on Sky+ HD, Sky Q, NOW and Virgin Media. As part of its latest shake-up, the UK satellite firm is removing Sky One from the electronic program guide, EPG. But don’t panic – there is some good news. While Sky One might be gone, Sky is bringing two new channels to your set-top box to replace it.
Sky Showcase will occupy the same spot that Sky One occupied on your EPG. This all-new channel will present a selection of some of the most talked-about shows from across Sky’s portfolio of existing channels, from Sky Comedy to Sky Documentaries.
For those who are familiar with the current Sky Sports line-up, Showcase will work in a similar fashion to Sky Main Event. The latter is a linear channel that presents some of the most hotly anticipated and discussed fixtures from the rest of the Sky Sports portfolio. Sky Main Event doesn’t have its own exclusive shows, something it will have in common with Sky Showcase.
Sky hopes Sky Showcase will become a starting point for those looking for something new to watch. If you don’t fancy digging around in the catalogue of on-demand boxsets, or trawling through hundreds of channels – tuning into Sky Showcase means you’ll automatically find yourself watching the biggest new title from across the remaining Sky channels.
Sky One – one of the most well-known channels in the satellite firm’s EPG – will be removed from September (Image: SKY )
There is one exception, of course. While Sky Showcase will pick-and-mix from the rest of the channels from the satellite broadcaster, you won’t find any exclusives shows from Sky Atlantic on the channel. Sky Atlantic is the home of the biggest US dramas, including Mare Of Easttown, Succession, Little Big Lies, I Hate Suzie, Chernobyl, WestWorld and Game Of Thrones , to name a few.
Sky Atlantic is only available on Sky Q, Sky+HD or NOW. While those on Virgin Media can access every other channel in the Sky portfolio, Sky Atlantic remains exclusive to set-top boxes built by Sky. As Sky Showcase will appear on Virgin Media TV 360, bringing shows from Sky Atlantic to the channel would be a backdoor for these titles to appear on this telly hardware.
Sky Showcase will take Sky One’s place in your TV Guide, bringing a selection of shows from other Sky channels (Image: SKY )
Sky Max is an all-new channel where you’ll find some of the biggest new series, including Never Mind The Buzzcocks (Image: SKY )
Next up, Sky will launch an all-new channel, dubbed Sky Max.
Sky Max's launch schedule will include some of the biggest new shows coming to Sky, including the long-awaited revival of comedy panel show Never Mind the Buzzcocks, as well as The Russell Howard Hour, and DC Superheroes.
Meanwhile, Sky Comedy will be broadened to include Sky Original Comedy including shows such as Code 404 and Hitmen Reloaded , alongside a selection of critically acclaimed US comedies such as The Office US, PEN15 and Miracle Workers.
Sky TV tease their upcoming releases in 2021
Want to banish buffering for good? Sky’s full-fibre Ultrafast Plus package is just the ticket. It unleashes speeds of 500Mbps, with guaranteed download speeds of 400Mbps – that’s more generous than BT and Virgin Media. And at £45 a month, it’s also cheaper too!
All of these changes will arrive on September 1, 2021. The new channels will be available to Sky customers at no extra charge, they will also be coming to viewers on streaming service NOW, as well as set-top boxes from Virgin and BT for free.
Commenting on the latest shake-up, Managing Director of Content for Sky UK & ROI, Zai Bennett said: "In this golden age of television, the sheer volume of incredible programming can be overwhelming. Over the last 12 months we've been making it easier for people to find what they want to watch.
“From September those looking for the very best of Sky will find it at the top of their programme guide on Sky Showcase, while Sky Max will become the new home of blockbuster entertainment joining the host of genre-led channels launched in the past year – so whether you're in the mood for true crime, a documentary or just a laugh there's always a channel to suit. And if you're not sure what to watch Sky Showcase will have the best of our line-up from across Sky curated for you to find something new."
This article contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission on any sales of products or services we write about. This article was written completely independently, see more details here .
- The best Sky TV deals, packages and Sky Q offers for December 2020
- Best TV antenna to buy in 2021
- Eating humble pie, Kay? Suspended Sky News presenter Burley breaks cover as she's seen for first time since rule-breaking 60th birthday bash with colleagues (but this time she's dining alone)
- TV BAFTAs 2020: Stacey Dooley arrives at socially-distanced awards in a strapless black velvet fishtail gown
- How Kay Burley was nailed by her own Sky News colleagues: 'Resentful' junior producers hired photographers to snap host and then told media she had been 'bragging about breaking lockdown restrictions'
- 'How can she interview a minister?': Sky bosses have 'real concern' about Kay Burley holding MPs to account after her 60th birthday party rule breach
- Sky launch new essentials broadband and TV bundle for a bargain price
- Christmas TV Guide 2020: find out all our top festive picks
- Sky to make Amazon Prime Video available to subscribers in Europe
- ‘Lizzie McGuire’ Sequel Series Starring Hilary Duff Set At Disney+ From Creator Terri Minsky & Disney Channel
- Shia LaBeouf and grinning girlfriend Margaret Qualley go on mask-free jog in LA... amid his abuse allegations
- Love Island's Alexandra Cane sizzles in a leopard print bikini as she reflects on a 'rollercoaster of a year' and teases her next project is the 'biggest risk' yet
- George Clooney has caused DIY hair-cutting Flowbee gadget to completely SELL OUT after he admitted to using one for 22 years
- Doja Cat, Dua Lipa and Harry Styles gets fans at home in the holiday spirit as they lead stars performing at this year's iHeart Radio Jingle Ball
- Strictly star Bill Bailey's incredible act every day for a year to woo his wife
- Best NOW TV offers October 2020
- The best Sky deals you can get in December 2020
- Chiefs vs Saints live stream: how to watch week 15's biggest NFL game anywhere now
- Sky will sort your Christmas with its latest TV package deals on Sports and Cinema
- Year in Review: Best Music of 2020 — Staff Picks
Sky TV's biggest shake-up in years removes one popular channel, but adds two more for free have 1351 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.