After 39 years on the airwaves, Sky One will finally be ditched by the satellite brand (Image: GETTY • SKY)
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Sky One will disappear from the TV Guide on your Sky Q, Sky+ HD, Virgin Media, BT and NOW set-top boxes from September 1, 2021. The channel, which has been the home of The Simpsons , panel shows like A League Of Their Own, Rob and Romesh Vs , and US imports like 24, Battlestar Galactica, and Prison Break , has been around for 39 years. The oldest non-terrestrial channel in the UK is currently where you’ll find the latest episode of DC shows like The Flash, DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow, and Supergirl .
But that’s all about to change. Starting September 1, Sky One will vanish for all customers across the UK. In its place, Sky will launch a new channel called Sky Showcase , which will occupy the same prime placement in the TV Guide.
This channel is designed to present a selection of some of the most talked-about shows from across Sky’s portfolio of existing channels, from Sky Comedy to Sky Documentaries.
Meanwhile, the shows that currently air exclusively on Sky One will be divvied up into the rest of the satellite firm’s line-up of channels, which are increasingly focused on genres, including the likes of Sky Witness, Sky Comedy, Sky Documentaries, Sky Crime, Sky History, Sky Nature, Sky Arts, and Sky Kids. The broadcaster hopes this will make it easier to locate a show in the TV Guide – if you’re looking for a new David Attenborough, you’ll know that Sky Nature is your best bet, while Sky Crime has the latest grisly true-crime documentaries.
A selection of some of the logos used for Sky One, which started out life as ‘Sky Channel’, over its 39 year history (Image: SKY )
For those who are familiar with the current Sky Sports line-up, Showcase will work in a similar fashion to Sky Main Event. The latter is a linear channel that presents some of the most hotly anticipated and discussed fixtures from the rest of the Sky Sports portfolio. Sky Main Event doesn’t have its own exclusive shows, something it will have in common with Sky Showcase.
There is one exception, of course. While Sky Showcase will pick ‘n’ mix from the rest of the channels from the satellite broadcaster, you won’t find any exclusives shows from Sky Atlantic on the channel. Sky Atlantic is the home of the biggest US dramas, including Mare Of Easttown, Succession, Little Big Lies, I Hate Suzie, Chernobyl, WestWorld and Game Of Thrones , to name a few.
The vacancy left by Sky One will be filled by a new channel, dubbed Sky Showcase (Image: SKY )
Sky Atlantic is only available on Sky Q, Sky+HD or NOW. While those on Virgin Media can access every other channel in the Sky portfolio, Sky Atlantic remains exclusive to set-top boxes built by Sky. As Sky Showcase will appear on Virgin Media TV 360, bringing shows from Sky Atlantic to the channel would be a backdoor for these titles to appear on this telly hardware.
Next up, Sky will launch an all-new channel, dubbed Sky Max.
Sky Max's launch schedule will include some of the biggest new shows coming to Sky, including the long-awaited revival of comedy panel show Never Mind the Buzzcocks , as well as The Russell Howard Hour , and some of the biggest DC shows previously found on Sky One.
All of these changes will arrive on September 1, 2021. The new channels will be available to Sky customers at no extra charge, they will also be coming to viewers on streaming service NOW, as well as set-top boxes from Virgin and BT for free.
- 200,000 homes ditch their BBC TV licences in a year prompting funding crisis at the corporation as No10 says it wants Netflix-style subscription system
- Johnston Press plans £360m refinancing as Sky takes stake in ad deal
- Virgin Mobile to hike prices by up to £107 a year for 250,000 customers
- Eastern Caribbean's top 10 beach accommodation on a budget: from Antigua to the British Virgin Islands
- What does it take to make a social media network that doesn’t exploit users?
- What’s Next for Genea Sky, the Exotic Dancer Whose Fall Off a Pole Went Viral
- 'No Man's Sky' Is One of The Best-Selling New IP Ever, Reveals Creator
- India captain Virat Kohli to continue all-format cricket for next three years
- St Helens' Jonny Lomax on the skull fracture that left him with '50-50' chance of survival
- BT Sport and Sky Sports join forces for new package to watch Premier League AND Champions League football for less
- Virgin Galactic crash investigators are a long way from finding the cause
- Tata Sky set to hike minimum recharge amount by 150%: Report
- End of cash predicted by 2028 as we ditch coins and notes
- Sky launch TV package with Sky Sports and BT Sport in one single subscription
- Live Premier League on Sky Sports: Experience drama in surround sound with Sky Q and Dolby Atmos
- Sky to hike prices by up to £72 a year for millions of customers
- Three to hike bills by 2.7% – charging millions of customers up to £20 a year extra
- Busy Philipps reveals she ditched the foundation for fresh-faced appearance on Good Morning America
- Toilet Break: Glastonbury Ditches Plastic Portable Lavatories
- Roger Stone gets THREE YEARS and four months but will not go straight to prison while he asks for a retrial - as federal judge rejects prosecutors' demand for nine years but savages Donald Trump for interfering and says Stone 'covered up for the president'
Sky ditches Sky One from NOW, Sky+ HD and Virgin Media after 40 years, and that's not all have 1012 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.