Joshua Jackson isn’t scared of going to the doctor now, exactly.
But “I’m more trepidatious about interacting with the medical system than I was before doing this show,” the actor admitted to E! News, referring to his new limited series Dr. Death , now streaming on Peacock.
Jackson stars as Dr. Christoper Duntsch , a charming but ultimately sociopathic neurosurgeon who was convicted in Texas of maiming a 74-year-old woman during surgery—but who overall was accused of harming 33 patients, two of whom died after he operated on them.
“I’d definitely get a second or third opinion before I go now,” added AnnaSophia Robb , who plays Dallas prosecutor Michelle Shughart . In 2017, her team won a guilty verdict and a life sentence for Duntsch.
Adapted from the 2018 Wondery podcast of the same name (while the foreboding moniker itself was coined by Dallas’ D Magazine in 2016), Dr. Death is a truly chilling story about a person who positioned himself as a savior—”He thinks he’s the hero,” Jackson said—but ultimately ruined dozens of lives, the system that allowed him to run amok for almost two years, the women who believed in him (until they didn’t), and the doctors who realized something was seriously wrong and made it their mission to take him down.
“We meet his loves, we meet his friends,” Jackson shared, “and I found it really, really compelling.” Duntsch was a character “that I was immediately just scratching at, wanting to know more about.”
For the scoop on who’s who, check out the main cast and the real people they’re portraying here:
When they were filming and he was playing such a villain, Jackson told E! News , “You’re constantly in this cognitive dissonance of like ‘Well, the outcome here is terrible,’ or ‘he’s treating these people terribly in this moment.'”
But Duntsch “thinks he’s the hero,” he continued, “so the Duntsch half of my brain is totally fine, and the Josh half of my brain is going, ‘You’re an awful, awful human being!’ So it was probably more necessary than I even understood at the time to be able to step out of that and be able to go hug my extremely cute baby every night.”
Dr. Death is streaming now on Peacock.
- Is ‘Baaghi’ a disservice to the real-life Qandeel Baloch?
- What it was REALLY like to work for Winston Churchill: Secretary reveals true story behind Hollywood biopic Darkest Hour
- The chilling real-life stories which inspired horror films… from Nightmare on Elm Street to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- Scots cop stars swap law for life of crime in new roles as real-life robbers from Hatton Garden burglary
- The chilling real-life celebrity kidnap that inspired Agatha Christie’s Murder On The Orient Express
- Fantasy fanatic who spent £45k transforming himself into real-life ELF reveals new pointed ears after latest surgery
- When is Victoria And Abdul out? UK release date, trailer, cast info on Judi Dench, Ali Fazal and Eddie Izzard and the true story
- How the chilling real-life murder of a servant girl inspired cult horror flick The Ring
- Transsexual singer has spent a whopping €850,000 to transform herself from a bullied band geek into a real-life Barbie doll
- MI6 chief reveals the real-life James Bond’s Q is a woman in bid for more female recruits
- Who is Kym Marsh? Coronation Street’s Michelle Connor and stalking victim who suffered a real-life miscarriage
- Kaya Scodelario: Female characters should be more than just a girlfriend or wife
- George Bailey in real world
- Book reviews: Thrills, chills, queens and quests make magical winter reading
- Dudley filmmaker Marcus Distant on bringing footballer Duncan Edwards' life story to the screen
- Heath Ledger, Kate Winslet… and five other actors whose disturbing characters pushed them to the edge
- The Crown is a gorgeous Netflix makeover of the Queen's reign - here's the release date, cast, and trailer for the new series
- It was very difficult for me to recover musically after Nazia’s death: Zoheb Hassan
- King Arthur did NOT EXIST and was created as a ‘Celtic superhero’ mixture of real warlords, archaeologist claims
- Conrad Nelson and Deb McAndrew on life after Barrie Rutter’s at Northern Broadsides
See How the Cast of Dr. Death Compares to the Real-Life Characters in the Chilling True Story - E! Online have 851 words, post on www.eonline.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.