Chelsea: The first six fixtures of the 2021/22 Premier League
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Chelsea are interested in signing Romelu Lukaku from Inter Milan this summer. However, Express Sport understands the Belgium international is happy at the San Siro and ready to stay put in order to fire his side to another Serie A title. And what the Blues decide to do next remains to be seen.
Chelsea are determined to add a striker to their squad this summer.
Despite Thomas Tuchel guiding them to Champions League glory last time out, the German feels more is required if his side are to retain that title.
Chelsea have allowed Olivier Giroud to join AC Milan, while they're also open to offloading Tammy Abraham amid interest from Arsenal and West Ham.
As things stand, Erling Haaland is their main target.
The Borussia Dortmund star scored 40 goals across all competitions last season, enhancing his reputation as one of Europe's most-promising strikers in the process.
However, with Dortmund insisting Haaland won't be sold, Chelsea have been linked with Lukaku.
Chelsea are keen on signing Romelu Lukaku from Inter Milan (Image: GETTY)
The Belgium international fired Inter to Serie A title glory last time out, netting 30 goals from 44 matches across all competitions.
Eurosport recently claimed that Chelsea had submitted a 'very good' personal offer to the player via intermediaries earlier in the summer.
Yet Express Sport understands Lukaku is happy at Inter and isn't planning on leaving the club this summer.
While he was upset by the departure of Antonio Conte, he's ready to give his all for new manager Simone Inzaghi as they look to retain their crown.
Lukaku feels appreciated by Inter, unlike when he was in the Premier League at Manchester United.
Chelsea want to sign Romelu Lukaku in this summer’s transfer window (Image: GETTY)
And it seems Chelsea will now have to look at alternatives, especially with Haaland set to be beyond their reach as well.
Harry Kane is admired behind the scenes at Stamford Bridge, with the Tottenham star eager to leave north London for a new challenge elsewhere.
But Spurs don't want to sell to a fierce rival and, anyhow, Manchester City are currently frontrunners in the race to snap him up.
Robert Lewandowski has also emerged as a potential target as the Bayern Munich star enters the twilight years of his career.
Yet Bayern don't want to lose the Poland international, with new boss Julian Nagelsmann hoping to make the veteran even better this upcoming season.
Do you want an exclusive pre-season preview for YOUR club – both in your inbox and through your letterbox? Head over here to find out more and secure your copy.
Chelsea transfer news: Romelu Lukaku flourished at Inter Milan last season (Image: GETTY)
Speaking in July, meanwhile, former Liverpool star Peter Crouch urged Lukaku to consider a move back to Chelsea.
He told Paddy Power: "Romelu Lukaku has to be a target for Premier League clubs, without a doubt.
"Look at the money you'd have to spend to get Erling Haaland, Kylian Mbappe or even Harry Kane. It would cost a lot less to get Lukaku, yet he's a banker for Premier League goals.
"He gets better every season and I wouldn't bet against him winning the Euros Golden Boot now. Belgium are a top side and he's going to get more goals.
"The obvious English destination is Chelsea, though. He'd fit in there. They've got pace, which suits him, willing runners, and they'd have an abundance of ability around him.
Erling Haaland: All you need to know about Norwegian star
"He's been at Chelsea before and I think he's got something to prove there. I could see him being a good fit under Thomas Tuchel.
"Similarly, if Chelsea sign Erling Haaland, they are title contenders without a doubt. They've got a squad capable of a title challenge and will have confidence after winning the Champions League.
"If they get Haaland, they're 100% in it. It's going to be a fascinating season to see if anyone can topple Manchester City."
Chelsea have also been linked with Declan Rice.
But with West Ham wanting £100million for their prized asset, that deal will be tricky to strike.
- Lyon look to sell Chelsea transfer target Moussa Dembele in summer ‘after rejecting Blues’ £33m bid in January’
- Conte satisfied with Eriksen as Lukaku turns focus to Milan derby
- Inter 4 Milan 2: Lukaku caps incredible derby comeback as Conte’s ex-Prem all-stars cancel out Ibrahimovic heroics
- Transfer rumor roundup: Neymar for Coutinho plus cash? Dembele to Liverpool?
- Barcelona ‘set to sign Willian on free transfer’ as Chelsea star snubs new contract
- Man Utd and Tottenham transfer blow with Paulo Dybala in talks over new £8.5m-a-year Juventus contract until 2025
- Antonio Conte signs £15m Chelsea deal but faces tough task to keep Diego Costa
- Man Utd already plotting summer transfer for Jadon Sancho as they join Chelsea in tug-of-war for Dortmund sensation
- Aston Villa turned down Odion Ighalo transfer 24 hours before shock Man Utd Deadline Day move
- European round-up: Paolo Maldini's son makes AC Milan debut in draw with Hellas Verona
- Chelsea beat Man Utd to snap up 16-year-old Edwin Andersson from IFK Gothenburg as Lampard looks for youth transfers
- Inside Man Utd’s ‘chaotic’ Ighalo transfer with striker not even having medical and club preferring Rondon
- Man Utd complete shock transfer Deadline Day loan signing of ex-Watford striker Odion Ighalo from Shanghai Shenhua
- Chelsea forwards lack killer instinct as chairman Buck watches missed chances vs Leicester after failed transfer window
- Chelsea outcast Kepa Arrizabalaga being monitored by old club Athletic Bilbao after being axed by Frank Lampard
- 11pm Chelsea news LIVE: Dembele available, Ake transfer option, Onana first-choice Kepa replacement
- 9pm Chelsea news LIVE: Ajax Champions League row LATEST, Andersson signs, Kante-Isco exchange, Jorginho to Juventus
- Chelsea and Man Utd set to go head-to-head for Jadon Sancho this summer as Borussia Dortmund demand £100m transfer fee
- Chelsea STILL have Nathan Ake transfer clause and can re-sign defender for £40m this summer
- 3pm Chelsea news LIVE: Onana to replace Kepa, Jorginho to Juventus, Richarlison on summer transfer shortlist
Romelu Lukaku makes decision on Chelsea transfer after 'very good offer made' - EXCLUSIVE have 1297 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.