A smitten couple who fell in love after a first-date blunder have revealed the pub they dined in has renamed itself after them.
Rose Maclachlan, 27, and Rory Chisholm, 28 decided to go on their first date at The Rose & Crown pub in Clapham, south London in 2018.
The pair had been friends for some time and worked together at the same firm for 18 months, but hadn’t taken their relationship to the next level because they each had partners.
"I was in a serious relationship for two years. Rory was also in a two-year relationship, but we both got on really well," Rose, now a postgraduate student, said.
For more of the news you care about straight to your inbox, sign up for one of our daily newsletters here
In time, Rory’s relationship ended and he continued to see Rose around the office every day.
"When Rory broke up with his girlfriend, he started to say things like. 'I'd really like to fall in love with a friend'.
Eventually Rose’s relationship also ended and and over the next eight months, the pair became more flirty in the office.
Rose admitted: “We definitely liked each other.
“Rory is really outgoing and confident, we made fun of each other and had a laugh. We had a really good friendship at work and were comfortable.
“It was exciting, I really looked forward to going to work.”
Eventually, Rory plucked up the courage to ask out Rose – suggesting the Clapham Common pub as the location.
But the long wait to take Rose out for a drink affected Rory’s confidence – and the nervous insurance broker had a clumsy moment during the date.
“He spilt a drink on me when we went to the bar,” Rose, a postgrad student, recalled.
“I was a bit soaked but not drenched through. Of course, I saw the funny side.”
A few days after the date, the couple shared their first kiss.
“The pub kick-started our romance. Without that meeting we may never have got together,” Rose said.
“We have lots in common. We like travelling, cycling and generally being active. We're adventurous together and also share a love of food.”
She added the fact they were friends first laid the foundation for a strong relationship.
Nearly three years on, the pair are still together and saving up to move in together next April. In future, they’re planning to move abroad to Canada.
During the time they’ve been together, Rose and Rory have returned to The Rose & Crown several times – for Sunday roasts and drinks.
And this month, the pair got to celebrate their relationship with the whole of Clapham, as the pub changed its name to The Rose & Rory as part of the Long Live the Local campaign.
Rose said: "When we saw the sign in July it was amazing. They'd replaced the massive sign on the front of the pub with The Rose & Rory, we couldn't believe it.”
She added: “A friend of ours knew our story and put us forward to be involved in the campaign. I was gobsmacked when The Rose & Crown announced they were changing the sign. We felt so honoured.”
Model Jodie Kidd even popped down for a pint to celebrate the couple’s relationship.
After the pub retired the sign, they gifted it to the couple, and Rose now hangs it proudly in her bedroom.
“While we're not planning to get married at the moment, if we ever do, it will be part of it,” Rose said.
The Long Live the Local campaign estimates 9 in 10 people have found a special relationship at the local pub.
After Rose met her beau at her local boozer, she wants people to seize their opportunity and meet new people.
Did you meet your partner in an unusual way? Email [email protected] with your stories
“I think if you like someone you should go for it,”she advised.
- A Date With Love - Tips To Revive Your Love Life
- Broughty Ferry pub says ‘cheers!’ at 150th birthday celebrations
- EXCLUSIVE: RHOA alum Phaedra Parks reveals she's dating MUCH younger actor after moving on from convict ex husband Apollo Nida who left her sons crushed when he was carted back to prison before Father's Day as she spills on their doomed relationship
- 'You are the definition of the perfect boyfriend': Former Love Island star Erin Barnett, 24, celebrates one year anniversary with gushing Instagram post about Mick Russell, 43
- Love Island couple have welcomed their first baby
- Love Island's Wes Nelson appears enamoured with leggy Arabella Chi as they emerge from fashion bash... after making a snide dig at 'jealous' ex Megan Barton Hanson
- 'Police asked if mum knew I was dating a black man'
- The best dating apps to try in 2019
- Couple both plan to propose to each other at same place
- US woman who tried Bumble dating app 'on a whim' during visit to London was instantly smitten by her match despite living 5,500 miles apart - and now they're married
- Hull Loves 2019: Vote for the best place for a date in Hull
- So much for love at first sight! Video footage shows The Bachelor star Peter Weber and contestant Kelsey Weier being made to act out a date over and over again to get the perfect angle
- CitySex Love Tips: How to Have a Fairytale Ending
- Falling in Love Too Fast
- London Love Stories: Ella Dove and George Singer
- How to Date – Back to Basics
- Is Date Night a Scam?
- Coronation Street legend Julie Hesmondhalgh reveals she moved in with her husband ONE WEEK after their first date... and was pregnant six weeks later
- Love Island's Molly-Mae and Tommy Fury work up a sweat together
- Expert tips for great dating ideas.
Pub renames itself after couple who had disastrous first date there - but still fell in love have 961 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at July 21, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.