Meghan Markle's book 'wasn't best seller' says host
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Prince Harry first met his future wife in July 2016, as they went on a date in London’s Soho House. The pair hit it off immediately and met up for several more dates in the weeks that followed, before officially announcing their relationship just four months later. A royal biographer has shed light on the start of their romance in his biography of Meghan Markle and claimed the Queen’s grandson had no idea who she was, despite having reached fame in the US.
Meghan had already forged a successful career as an actress before she first met Harry, aged 34.
The aspiring actress had secured several roles in films such as Get Him to the Greek, Remember Me and Horrible Bosses.
But she rose to fame after joining the Suits cast in 2011, where she played Rachel Zane for seven of the nine seasons.
In her leading role in the US legal drama, Meghan became extremely popular and made regular appearances on the red carpet and on TV shows.
Prince Harry ‘didn’t have a clue’ who Meghan Markle was (Image: Getty)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry went on a blind date in July 2016 (Image: Getty)
In 2013 she was a guest on the Late Late Show with host Craig Ferguson.
Meghan also gave a number of speeches and spoke openly about causes close to her heart, including women’s rights, poverty and voting rights.
But despite her notoriety in the States, royal biographer Sean Smith said Harry “didn’t have a clue” who Meghan was.
Writing in his book, Meghan Misunderstood, he said: “The prince genuinely didn't have a clue who Meghan was when Violet suggested they should meet.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry now live in California (Image: Getty)
“He admitted, 'I'd never watched Suits and I'd never heard of Meghan before.'”
Mr Smith was referring to publicist Violet von Westenholz, the mutual friend credited with setting the pair up.
The PR director for Ralph Lauren is understood to have given Harry Meghan’s number.
Royal expert Katie Nicholl commented on this in her book, Harry and Meghan: Life, Loss, and Love.
DON’T MISS: Royal Family LIVE: Meghan planned Netflix project YEARS before Megxit [BLOG] Prince Harry’s move to mark Lilibet Diana’s birth raises questions [DETAILS] Meghan and Harry’s daughter being ‘ignored’ risking new ‘firestorm’ [INSIGHT]
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry stood down as senior royals last year (Image: Getty)
She wrote: “Toronto was to pop up in Harry's life sooner than he thought.
“It was a warm evening in early July when Harry was introduced to the glamorous actress Meghan Markle.
“They had been set up by a mutual girlfriend believed to be Violet von Westenholz, the daughter of Prince Charles's friend the Olympic skier Baron Piers von Westenholz.
“Violet, who works for the fashion house Ralph Lauren, had been spending time with Meghan that summer, dressing her for a promotional shoot for Suits and treating the actress to a day out at Wimbledon to watch her friend Serena Williams play in the competition.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, a romantic timeline (Image: Express)
“According to one source, Violet, who knows both Harry and Meghan well, thought they could be well matched and I was told by a source close to Violet that she gave Harry Meghan's number.”
Meghan and Harry’s first date went so well, Harry later invited her to join him in Botswana several weeks later.
In November they announced news of their relationship, with the engagement hitting the headlines just 12 months later.
Harry and Meghan then wed at St George’s Chapel, Windsor, in May 2018.
- Prince Harry explains how Meghan Markle's royal wedding bouquet got 'kind of ruined'
- Did Prince Harry Just Grab Meghan Markle's Butt In Public?
- Prince Harry recalls asking Prince Charles to walk Meghan Markle down the aisle
- Prince Harry shouted 'What Meghan wants, she gets' to palace staff before royal wedding, book claims
- Royal Baby: Will Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's First Child Be a U.S. Citizen?
- Meghan Markle Dazzles In Glamorous Blue Dress With A Cape
- Prince Charles Becomes a Cover Star, Taking a Cue From Meghan Markle’s Pre-Duchess Days
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Royal Tour of Australia in Pictures
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle talk mental health on Australia's Bondi Beach
- Meghan Markle's Pasta Necklace And All the Other Gifts Duchess Received on Australian Tour
- Plane Carrying Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Aborts Landing
- Meghan Markle Baby Name: Bookmakers Reveal the Favorites, Including Diana
- Prince Harry and Meghan charm fans with koalas and surf lessons on Australian tour
- Meghan Markle’s pot farmer nephew: I won’t ‘spew hate’ like rest of family
- Meghan Markle Didn’t Bring Prince Harry Along on Her Toronto Trip
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s First Royal Tour: 11 Cities in 16 Days
- Prince Harry Discusses The Moment His Dad Saved The Royal Wedding
- Meghan Markle's 'Suits' Father Gives Thomas Markle Advice
- Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Just Attended 'Hamilton' For A Very Special Reason
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle expecting their 1st child in spring
Prince Harry 'didn't have a clue' who Meghan Markle was before bombshell interview have 977 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 24, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.