Yet his massive social media following — more than 5 million followers across multiple platforms — has allowed Williams to become the first prep basketball star to sign with a major sports representation agency to pursue name, image and likeness endorsements and sponsorships.
Williams, a San Diego native who will attend Lake Norman Christian in Huntersville, North Carolina, and play for Vertical Academy, has signed a deal with Excel Sports Management that Excel vice president Matt Davis said he believes “will generate millions of dollars for this young man.”
“Mikey’s relevance around his peers in the basketball community is off the charts,” Davis told ESPN. “He’s one of the most relevant personalities in the basketball community. His digital and social following speak for themselves.”
Williams, 17, is the No. 7 overall prospect in ESPN’s Top 100 for the Class of 2023 . His significant prominence among Generation Z has afforded him the chance to be a groundbreaking high school athlete in the NIL marketplace.
“The NIL rules provide a new opportunity for someone like me who that has put in so much energy and effort into building a community,” Williams told ESPN in a statement. “I am excited to be the first high school athlete to make this move. I love to hoop and I love engaging with my fans and look forward to continuing to share my journey with everyone.”
While legislation recently allowed for college athletes to financially profit from NIL endorsement opportunities, no high school prospect unaffiliated with a college program has shown the ability to generate the revenue that Williams appears on the cusp of earning — including the possibility of a major shoe deal.
“He’s a rare, one-of-a-kind athlete in this space,” Davis told ESPN. “We’re going to build out his national profile and take big swings.”
- Fran Belibi went viral with her dunks. But the Colorado high school basketball star is so much more.
- Carmelo Anthony investing in high school basketball network
- Some Iowa high school basketball teams haven't played in 2-plus weeks
- Indiana high school basketball: Top 15 sectional semifinal matchups
- Indiana high school basketball regional scoreboard, highlights
- Kyle Neddenriep's best from 2018-19 Indiana high school basketball
- High School Basketball: Friday, Feb. 8
- Indiana high school basketball state finals: Wrapping up a wild Saturday
- Indiana high school basketball scores, highlights from sectionals
- Indiana high school basketball: 2019 IBCA all-state teams
- Indiana high school basketball: MIC dominates in Class 4A
- CNY’s 100 greatest high school athletes: Who did we miss?
- National Signing Day 2019 blog: Where high school athletes are heading
- First call: Mike McCarthy goes off on high school refs; IUP forgets uniforms
- The elite dozen: The top high school track athletes to watch out for this spring
- Could high school football be involved with potential new Panthers training facility?
- Coaches at NCAA Championships know Pittsburgh area is a great place to recruit high school wrestlers
- High school reporters win honors in Dallas Morning News journalism contest
- 2019 Alabama high school All-State basketball
- Mike Trout, once an Arkansas Traveler, to sign 12-year, $432M deal to stay with Angels
Mikey Williams signs with Excel Sports for NIL deal expected to 'generate millions' for high school basketball star have 521 words, post on abcnews.go.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.