Prince Harry memoir 'will be very explosive' says commentator
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Jonathan Dimbleby, who wrote ‘Prince of Wales: A Biography’, believes the two-hour-long interview of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry with Ms Winfrey was “undeserved” to the Queen and her family. And he slammed the tell-all chat as “vicious, cruel and horribly self-serving”.
Speaking at the Buxton International Festival in Derbyshire, Mr Dimbleby also said: “I think that the interview was a very great shame.
“I think it did great damage of a kind that was undeserved to the royal household and specifically to the Queen and her family.”
Speaking about Prince Harry’s comments on Prince Charles and their relationship, Mr Dimbleby said: “Harry's remarks about his father, I simply fail to understand.
“I think there are certain things you should say and do in private.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey was broadcasted in March (Image: GETTY)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry spoke highly to Ms Winfrey about the Queen (Image: GETTY)
“I believe a lot of the insinuations he made were not consistent with fact.”
In his book, Mr Dimbleby reported Prince Charles’s difficult childhood, revealing the Prince of Wales had been bullied at Gordonstoun, the Scottish boarding school chose by Prince Philip .
The historian also described Prince Charles’s upbringing as lonely, with the Queen depicted as a distant mother and the Duke of Edinburgh as an overbearing father.
Moreover, Mr Dimbleby said Prince Charles felt pressured by the late Duke of Edinburgh to marry Princess Diana – despite not being in love with her.
Prince Harry said he felt ‘let down’ by his father during the interview with Ms Winfrey (Image: GETTY)
Mr Dimbleby also said he had met Prince Harry “in the past, when he was young” and remembered him as a “charming, very nice” man who “served very well in the Armed Forces”.
However, he said to be “very disappointed” with his recent behaviour.
He added: “I felt he was being led by the nose a bit by his wife”.
Speaking to Ms Winfrey, Meghan and Harry launched damaging accusations of racism and neglect against the Royal Family.
Prince Charles’s biography made revelations about his childhood (Image: GETTY)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry now live in California (Image: GETTY)
Moreover, they discussed their relationships with some key royals – with both Meghan and Harry speaking highly about the Queen.
But they also bravely opened up about their mental wellbeing, with the Duchess of Sussex revealing she was suicidal while pregnant with Archie Harrison.
In his chat with Ms Winfrey, Prince Harry said the Prince of Wales had stopped taking his calls after he had spoken to him twice about his and Meghan’s plans to step back as senior royals.
He said: “When we were in Canada, I had three conversations with my grandmother and two conversations with my father and — before he stopped taking my calls — and he said, 'Can you put this all in writing what your plan is?'”
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry got married in 2018 (Image: EXPRESS)
Harry continued: “He asked me to put it in writing and I put all the specifics in there, even the fact that we were planning on putting the announcement out on January 7.”
One year after he and Meghan announced their intention to quit the Firm, Harry said Charles was taking his calls.
But asked about the relationship between them at the time of the interview, filmed in late February 2021, the Duke said: “There's a lot to work through there, you know?
“I feel really let down, because he's been through something similar.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced their intention to step back as senior royals in January 2020 (Image: GETTY)
“He knows what pain feels like, and this is… and Archie's his grandson.
“But, at the same time, you know, I, of course I will always… I will always love him, but there's a lot of hurt that's happened.
“And I will continue to make it one of my priorities to try and heal that relationship.”
- Why Meghan Markle Didn't Stand With Queen Elizabeth, Kate Middleton and Camilla at Remembrance Ceremony
- Meghan and Harry Africa tour Recap: Duke and Duchess show off dance moves
- Prince Harry says Princess Diana and Meghan Markle would have been 'thick as thieves'
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry join Prince William and Kate Middleton for Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at Royal Albert Hall where they're joined by the Queen and Boris Johnson
- Inside Meghan Markle's troubled relationship with her dad after royal baby snub
- Duchesses honour Britain's heroes: Meghan Markle pays tribute to Britain's war dead as she joins Prince Harry at Westminster Abbey's remembrance poppy field - while Kate and Prince William meet emergency crews from Grenfell fire and terror attacks
- Problems that blighted Archie's christening - and how Meghan Markle dealt with them
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle sit in the second row behind Prince William and Kate Middleton as they attend their first event together since ITV documentary sparked rift rumours
- Meghan Markle's dad Thomas sends desperate Christmas message to the Queen
- How the Queen and Meghan Markle Became Besties So Quickly
- Trooping the Colour recap: Meghan Markle looks relaxed as she appears on Buckingham Palace balcony at Queen's celebrations
- Meghan Markle's name Archie is 'nod to dad' and could be her reaching out, claims pal
- Royal baby: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry celebrate birth of 7lbs 3oz boy
- Meghan Markle's net worth and age - her transformation from Suits actress to royal princess
- Meghan Markle curtsies to Queen of Tonga as she and Harry bid farewell before returning to Sydney
- How old is Meghan Markle, when did she and Prince Harry meet and is she REALLY feuding with Kate Middleton?
- Meghan Markle's sister in desperate plea for her dad Thomas to meet baby Archie
- Meghan Markle 'sees Charles as father figure' as relationship with dad crumbles
- Meghan Markle vs Kate Middleton - how the royal women compare as Duchesses
- 'I have so many cakes, I'm going to open a restaurant': Meghan Markle and Prince Harry joke around with soldiers' children in adorable new footage from Windsor coffee morning visit
Meghan Markle and Harry's Oprah interview 'cruel towards Queen and horribly self-serving' have 1188 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 24, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.