Liverpool: The first six fixtures of the new Premier League season
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has declared that Liverpool would reap the rewards of signing Aston Villa skipper Jack Grealish ahead of Manchester City this summer. The 25-year-old, who impressed when called upon for England at Euro 2020, has been heavily linked with a move away from the west Midlands in recent months.
Grealish has established himself as one of the Premier League’s finest attacking players over the course of the last few years, playing a significant role in helping Villa to achieve a solid mid-table finish last season. He chipped in with seven goals and 12 assists in all competitions despite spending a large part of the campaign on the treatment table with a shin injury. The playmaker’s form is said to have piqued the interest of a number of clubs ahead of next season, but City appear to be the frontrunners in the race for his signature. The newly-crowned Premier League champions are reportedly weighing up a move for Grealish as Pep Guardiola looks to improve his ranks ahead of his side’s upcoming title defence. It has been suggested that a big-money offer could be tabled in the coming weeks, with Villa unlikely to sell for anything less than a nine-figure fee.
City are believed to be keen on a move for Grealish (Image: GETTY)
Liverpool have also been mentioned in connection with Grealish since the turn of the year, and Ferdinand believes that Villa’s prized asset would thrive in a starring role with the Reds, or indeed any other club in the division. Five YouTube channel .
Ferdinand is a huge admirer of the Villa skipper (Image: GETTY)
“He improves them and then it's like: 'Wow’. I would love him to join Manchester United, obviously. But I just feel that the position that he plays is stacked. “Bruno [Fernandes] in at 10, [Marcus] Rashford's on the left, [Anthony] Martial is there, [Paul] Pogba is there. “It kind of rules Manchester United out unless they say: 'No, we're going to shift a player or two to get him’. That's the big decision they have to make. "There aren't many breathtaking footballers around anymore who produce breathtaking moments and make you go: 'Wow, that was crazy’.
D o you want an exclusive pre-season preview for YOUR club – both in your inbox and through your letterbox? Head over here to find out more and secure your copy.
Liverpool finished third in the Premier League last season (Image: EXPRESS)
“Jack Grealish does that. He's just a phenomenal player.”
Liverpool are reportedly considering a shake-up of their current attacking trident, with Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane struggling to match the output of Mohamed Salah last season.
- What Man City's rivals have done in the summer transfer window
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Real Madrid eye Man City star Sterling
- Transfer Talk: Man City, Arsenal, Spurs chase French youngster
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Barcelona turn to Pablo Fornals as Man City, PSG battle for Frenkie de Jong
- Transfer Talk: Arsenal close on Caglar Soyuncu, Bale wants Prem return
- Transfer Talk: Pogba 'desperate' to leave Man United
- Liverpool should thrash Newcastle, right? Not so fast. Your Premier League weekend preview
- Transfer Talk: Man United to turn to Monaco midfielder Tielemans
- Transfer Talk: PSG plan shock £100m move for Zaha
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Man United, City in £100m battle for Sancho
- Transfer Talk: Real Madrid have 'pact' to sign Mbappe
- By the numbers - Zinchenko unbeaten in 23, Grealish loses 20 straight
- Ian Wright: Raheem Sterling — you’re doing great for England at the World Cup and don’t worry about not scoring
- Kane, Alli and Sterling are England certainties but Southgate lacks a core
- Championship rumour mill: Sheffield United chase Southampton's Sam Gallagher
- Championship rumours: Boro want Premier League star
- World Cup 2018: Aldi to close all stores at 3pm on Sunday to let staff watch England… if Three Lions reach final
- World Cup 2018: England legend Paul Gascoigne to fly out to Russia to cheer on Three Lions in semi-final against Croatia
- Grace Brethren's Lontrelle Diggs is The Star's Offensive Player of the Year
- South Africa: Power and Crisis
Liverpool urged to beat Man City to £100m Jack Grealish transfer by Rio Ferdinand have 837 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.