Just Eat has been attacked for raising its service charge from just 50p to as much as £1.99 per order.
The maximum 4x increase in fees will pocket the delivery service an extra millions of pounds a year in profit.
But consumer champions warned many customers won’t even know their charges have increased, The Sun reported.
Those using Apple Pay will have to look closely for a listing under the “place my order” button.
To make matters worse Just Eat did not announce the news, instead hiding the policy change in the small print of its website.
What do you think about Just Eat’s hidden announcement? Have your say and see what others think in the comments .
Just Eat introduced a 50p flat service fee in 2018 on top of delivery charges ranging from free to £3 per order.
Now the delivery firm will charge 5% of the order value with a minimum of 50p and maximum of £1.99.
The company insisted this will only apply to restaurants whose orders are fulfilled by Just Eat drivers specifically, such as chains without their own delivery drivers.
Local takeaways who deliver their own food won’t face the new price hike.
Deliveroo's service fee is is also 5 per cent but capped at 99p and Uber Eats charges a max of £2.99.
Both have delivery fees on top.
A Just Eat spokeswoman said the company made the change so it could raise its investment in delivery drivers and offer a better “takeaway experience”.
They said: "To help us ensure we continue to deliver the best takeaway experience for all of our customers on behalf of our restaurant partners, we have moved from the current fixed service charge to a variable charge depending on the food order value.
"The change will only apply to orders from restaurants where Just Eat takes care of the delivery and simply reflects the continued investment in our delivery service."
For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .
- Tata Motors e-Buses Delivered To BEST In Mumbai: 26 Units Added To The Fleet
- Disney Plus reveals new Marvel, Star Wars originals -- and a price hike
- Beware of a new “Denver Fee” next time you order restaurant delivery
- Six charged with defrauding US of $2.1m in 'birth tourism' scheme that saw 117 pregnant Turkish women pay up to $10k each to give birth on Long Island and secure US citizenship for their children
- Now EasyJet want to charge customers £24 each way to use the OVERHEAD LOCKERS: Passengers' fury at new cash grab
- The £250m cycle lane farce: How new eco-friendly routes get ONE biker for every 400 motorists on road and make pollution and congestion WORSE
- Key lines from the unveiling of Biden's new economic team
- Best mortgage lenders for customer service and value for money - all the providers rated
- News by Netflix? Streaming sites could be given taxpayers cash for public service shows as Ofcom proposes radical shakeup of rules for BBC and ITV
- New Wyze professional monitoring undercuts other home security plans
- AdBlock Plus launches service to sell ads
- Paywalls, Newsletters, and the New Echo Chamber
- Pharmacies accused of over-charging patients for medicinal cannabis
- Laundry goes smart — how a subscription service could revolutionise your washing
- Best speech-to-text software in 2020: Free, paid and online voice recognition apps and services
- Republicans Hit a Disgusting New Low With Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Death
- DoorDash IPO delivers billions even though company still lacks profits
- UPDATE DoorDash Delivers 86% Gain In Stock Market Debut; Shares Close At $186.51
- Outrage over killing of 43 farmers, fishermen in Borno
- FCC’s “nutrition labels” for broadband show speed, caps, and hidden fees
JustEat delivers outrage with new 'stealth charge' adding quadrupled service fee have 595 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at July 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.