In pictures: Man Utd beat Derby in pre-season friendly
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Jadon Sancho will wear the number 25 shirt in his debut season at Manchester United. The Red Devils confirmed his £73million arrival from Borussia Dortmund on Friday, but have surprised fans with his choice of shirt number.
Adidas and Manchester United have launched their official 2021/22 home jersey, putting a modern twist on their classic club styles.
Many Man United supporters expected Sancho to inherit Edinson Cavani’s number seven shirt – an iconic number for great wingers down the club’s history.
However, it seems like the Uruguayan striker will hold onto the shirt he thrived in last season before his expected 2022 departure.
Sancho will likely become the Red Devils’ seven once Cavani has moved on, but for now, he will make do with a surprising number.
There were murmurs that Sancho would take number 16 instead of seven for his first season, but the number 25 has shot out of the blue.
Man Utd have signed Jadon Sancho. (Image: GETTY)
The number 25 shirt has, unsurprisingly, only been worn by nine players in United’s past, compared to the 53 stars who have boasted number seven.
Most recently, loanee striker Odion Ighalo wore the shirt from 2019-2021, inheriting the number from its longest bearer, Antonio Valencia.
The Ecuadorian winger-turned right-back actually switched from seven to 25 in 2009, wearing the shirt as a regular starter up until 2019.
Nick Powell wore the shirt in the 2012/13 season after it was Danny Simpson’s from 2006 to 2008. Before Simpson, David Jones was number 25 in the 2006/07 campaign.
Quinton Fortune is also a recognisable United number 25, wearing it from 1999 to 2006 after Jordi Cruyff, Kevin Pilkington and Gary Walsh.
Speaking for the first time since becoming a United player, Sancho shared his excitement to join such a young squad and stated it was always his intention to return to England.
He said: “I'll always be grateful to Dortmund for giving me the opportunity to play first-team football, although I always knew that I would return to England one day.
“The chance to join Manchester United is a dream come true and I just cannot wait to perform in the Premier League.
“This is a young and exciting squad and I know, together, we can develop into something special to bring the success that the fans deserve. I am looking forward to working with the manager and his coaching team to further develop my game."
Sancho will be delighted to finally arrive at Old Trafford. (Image: GETTY)
United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has also expressed his emotions after adding a world-class talent to his already exciting, youthful attacking ranks.
He said: “Jadon epitomises the type of player I want to bring to the club, he is a forward player in the best traditions of Manchester United.
“He will form an integral part of my squad for years to come and we look forward to seeing him blossom. His goals and assists records speak for themselves and he will also bring tremendous pace, flair and creativity to the team.”
Do you want an exclusive pre-season preview for YOUR club – both in your inbox and through your letterbox? Head over here to find out more and secure your copy.
- Dean Henderson: Man Utd goalkeeper starring for Sheffield United and now England
- Dele Alli has gone from main man to misfit with Tottenham and England
- Marco Silva at Everton: Lack of goals, set-piece issues, mentally weak - how much pressure is he under?
- Rumour Has It: Ibrahimovic to make shock Manchester United return
- German Cup: Julian Brandt finally arrives as Borussia Dortmund show their mettle
- Premier League grades - 10 games in: Every club rated so far
- Daniel James is carrying Manchester United's attack at the moment
- VAR in the spotlight after Premier League weekend of confusion
- Bundesliga transfers: Wolf moves to Hertha, Schick to RB
- PHOTOS, World Cup qualifiers: Brazil crush Peru; Romania hold Italy
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s crackdown on criminals in Rio de Janeiro leads to huge surge in killings by police
- Unai Emery facing mounting problems at Arsenal following stormy Crystal Palace draw
- Wilfried Zaha offers chaos factor Arsenal lack but Crystal Palace will fight to keep him
- Manchester City's defensive problems could cost them their title
- A titanic, bittersweet symphony: 35 pop-culture windows into 1997
- When The Allies Wanted A German Nuclear Scientist Dead, They Sent A Ballplayer To Kill Him
- The god box: an oral history of Avatara
- The best shows on Netflix right now
- The BEST Moments in Hindi Films in 2016
- The best SNES games of all time
Jadon Sancho issued surprise Man Utd shirt number as Edinson Cavani theories shot down have 907 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 24, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.