UK travel: Expert on increase in people travelling abroad
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The NHS app went down earlier today affecting hundreds of passengers who were about to board a plane.
The cause of the issue is still unknown but it is believed to be related to a mass outage that affected several companies, including AirBnb or British Airways.
This happened at around 5pm UK time, as many passengers were about to board planes.
Some of them were denied boarding the plane after they were unable to prove their vaccination status.
What do you think? Join the debate in the comments section here
Britons not allowed to board plane to Ibiza after NHS app goes down (Image: Getty)
The NHS app is the only official vaccine passport in the UK and recognised by most EU countries.
At the moment, Britons have to show a negative PCR test or proof of vaccination before travelling to Spain.
Passengers have two ways to prove they have received their two jabs: through the NHS app or showing an NHS letter.
Most of the passengers that had their vaccine records stored on the NHS app, did not carry physical proof as they relied on the digital platform.
DON’T MISS Do I need to take a PCR test before travelling to France? [ADVICE] Holidays: Britons warned to always ‘check’ travel rules [WARNING] Italian village will pay Britons £24,000 to relocate [INSIGHT]
The NHS app also allows travellers to download a PDF version of the vaccine passport, but when the app went down, it was too late for holidaymakers to do so.
This left many disappointed as they were about to jet off to their holiday destination.
It is believed this problem has affected hundreds of Britons in many airports across the UK today.
A flight attendant operating the affected Ryanair flight explained that on almost every flight several people are denied boarding because they lack part of the required documentation.
The NHS app went down affecting hundreds of passengers in Stansted who were about to board a plane. (Image: PA)
She said double-jabbed travellers think “they can just show up and fly”, suggesting they feel overly confident.
And warned: "You've got to download everything nowadays.”
Express.co.uk has approached Ryanair for comment.
This comes after the Balearic Islands were moved back to the amber list last week meaning non-vaccinated holidaymakers have to quarantine on their return to the UK.
Where you can travel from July 14. (Image: Express)
The Balearic Islands’ government has also reinstated its rule specifying face masks must be worn outside at all times.
It comes just one month after the regulation was initially scrapped.
Cases are now higher in Spain than during January’s “third wave”.
The number of active COVID-19 cases is at 7,308 according to local data.
- RACHEL JOHNSON: No, ladies, #MeToo doesn't mean 'can I have a free holiday?'
- How to Organize Your Holiday Shopping
- How to Prepare for the Holidays
- Holiday Shopping Survival Guide: 10 Tips to Keep Your Website Up and Running
- Should You Book a Flight Through an Airline You've Never Heard of?
- A local’s guide to Bologna, Italy: top 10 tips
- Uber does damage control amid firestorm, but is it enough?
- Force France to pay compensation to British holidaymakers and truckers affected by Calais chaos, Labour tells Cameron after PM holds crisis phone call with Hollande
- easyJet flights: What is easyJet’s hand luggage policy? How much baggage can you bring?
- Edited Transcript of VCRA earnings conference call or presentation 24-Oct-19 9:00pm GMT
- Battling cancer. Asked to spin for Ed. And what they REALLY tell me when we turn the cameras off! Mischievous, moving and marvellously indiscreet - the brilliant memoirs of BBC's NICK ROBINSON
- ‘I was not willing to die for my breasts': the young women opting for mastectomies
- The Top 10 Tech News Stories of 2013
- Edited Transcript of RHI earnings conference call or presentation 23-Oct-19 9:00pm GMT
- Edited Transcript of AAL earnings conference call or presentation 24-Oct-19 12:30pm GMT
- Black Mirror Therapy Session: PCMag Talks Season 3, Episode 2
- Batman v Superman
- People Shared Their Families' Creepiest Stories, And It's A Lot, Y'all
- Edited Transcript of BJRI earnings conference call or presentation 24-Oct-19 9:00pm GMT
- 2016: the year Facebook became the bad guy
Holiday nightmare: Britons not allowed to board plane to Ibiza after NHS app goes down have 874 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.