A mum who crashed with such force the engine of her VW Golf flew out like a spot being squeezed has been spared jail because of the impact on her children.
Crystal Ward, 27, was banned from driving when she sped along the M60 while high on cannabis and using Snapchat at the wheel.
She crashed at 88mph on a motorway sliproad near Sale, Greater Manchester, and was thrown from the car because she was not wearing a seatbelt.
The engine flew into the path of another car on the main carriageway and the driver was not able to avoid it.
Ward suffered spinal injuries and Hamzah Ahmed, the father of one of her three children, was trapped in the vehicle.
When police arrived she was four times over the limit for cannabis and they soon learned she was serving a 40-month ban for a previous drug-driving conviction.
They later found a series of eight-second video clips including one in which a passenger begged 'Babe!' before the crash at 1.45am last June.
Prosecutor Peter Connick said: 'She showed a deliberate disregard for the safety of others. She has driven at excess speed, was on a mobile phone and it was a high-speed collision involving herself and others.
Ward wept as she was given a 12-month suspended prison sentence after saying her children would be affected by a jail term.
Her defence lawyer Sarah Johnston said Ward had spent nearly three months in hospital and was being assessed for PTSD.
She said: 'She was thrown from the vehicle, suggesting she wasn't wearing a seat belt, and sustained fractures herself, to the top of her spine, the consequences of which are still ongoing.
She requires further surgery for some of the metal plates in the base of her neck to be removed.'
'There have been ongoing concerns about her vulnerability throughout her life but she still sees her children regularly and is allowed to visit them.
'The prospect of custody and the impact of that on them weighs heavily upon her. She sees her children four times a month and there is an opportunity to extend the visits.
'Her passenger does support her and he is the father of her child. He was driving initially and they then stopped. She can't recall the circumstances in which she came to be driving on that particular occasion.
'If this defendant hasn't learnt her lesson from this set of circumstances then, frankly, no one ever would.'
Judge John Close said: 'You are not going to prison today but it was a very, very close thing.
'The impact must have been ferocious and it was through good luck that nobody else was seriously injured. Fortunately, the driver of the passing Peugeot wasn't injured. If he had been, you would have been facing far more serious charges.
'You said you want help, and I hope you get it. If not, a jail sentence is waiting for you.'
Ward was also ordered to wear an electronic tag for three months as part of 9pm-7am curfew. She was disqualified from driving for another five years and ordered to take an extended re-test.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .
For more stories like this, check our news page .
Sign Up for News Updates
Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Not convinced? Find out more »
- Three dead after car pulling caravan in wrong direction on motorway crashed
- Men killed on M62 motorway were best friends on first day at work
- Ending of Blake Lively film A Simple Favor explained
- Where to start with the films of Billy Wilder
- Angelina Jolie looks in great spirits as she hits a discount store in Fuerteventura with children Zahara, Knox and Vivienne on a day off from filming The Eternals
- Is the weather really too hot for shirts on the Underground? Tube and train passengers strip as London hits 99.9F on UK's second hottest day ever
- How Your Car Gets Crash Tested
- Millionaire British playboy crashed Rolls Royce into shop window showing off
- Caught WET handed! Amazon driver is filmed on CCTV dropping parcel in sea during houseboat delivery then flying into rage and hurling boxed £100 microwave aboard
- Queen’s doctor killed after lorry crash in London
- SUV Gets Hit By Scion xD, Flips Over Twice, Lands On Its Roof
- Two children orphaned as mum dies seven months after crash that killed dad
- This wave of global protest is being led by the children of the financial crash
- New Westminster terror attack as driver crashes into cyclists outside Parliament
- Anna and the Apocalypse: A zombie-Christmas-high school musical can’t be this good
- Super high-definition images of the Titanic shipwreck reveal a 'partial collapse' of the iconic ship's hull 13,000 feet below the Atlantic Ocean
- Drunk driver speeds away from crash as witnesses cling onto wrecked car
- Real-life Ocean's 8 con women who have pulled off bigger scams than the film
- Steven Spielberg is worried about what streamers’ success means for theatrical films
- 7 Perfectly Fine Songs Made Scary by Horror Films
High mum filmed herself on Snapchat hitting 88mph before motorway crash have 850 words, post on metro.co.uk at July 20, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.