Harvey Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to charges of sexual assault in Los Angeles.
The disgraced Hollywood mogul, 69, was brought into court on Wednesday in a wheelchair after losing his bid to block extradition from New York.
Weinstein appeared in the city where he made his name as a producer, charged with 11 counts of sexual assault in California relating to five women.
The charges include four counts of rape and two counts of sexual battery and he faces up to 140 years in prison.
His lawyer entered a not guilty plea to all charges and said he planned to challenge three of the counts, citing the state’s statute of limitations.
Weinstein spoke briefly during the five-minute part of the hearing open to the public.
Judge Sergio Tapia told him, “good luck Mr Weinstein”, to which the convicted rapist replied: “Thank you very much.”
More on Harvey Weinstein
- Harvey Weinstein: Former Hollywood producer extradited to California to face more sexual assault charges
- Harvey Weinstein: New York judge rules media mogul can be moved to California to face rape charges
- Harvey Weinstein appeals against convictions for rape and sexual assault
- Harvey Weinstein: Aspiring filmmaker set to allege ‘horrendous sex abuse’ by disgraced producer at England tribunal
- Harvey Weinstein ill with a fever and being ‘closely monitored’ in prison
- Harvey Weinstein facing six new sexual assault charges in LA
No bail was granted.
Weinstein was flown to Los Angeles from New York, where he is serving a 23-year sentence for rape.
The California allegations are linked to incidents said to have happened in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills from 2004 to 2013.
Weinstein was first charged in Los Angeles in January 2020 as his New York trial was getting under way.
He is appealing against his New York rape conviction.
Prosecutors in Los Angeles have 120 days to bring Weinstein to trial under the terms of the extradition agreement.
His lawyers had fought the extradition, arguing he was in poor health.
The Oscar-winning producer’s ailments include diabetes, extensive coronary artery disease, anaemia, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnoea and chronic lower back pain, they said.
Weinstein had been a feared figure in Hollywood for decades when scores of women came forward in October 2017 alleging he had assaulted them.
The accusers included A-list actresses and anonymous assistants and the complaints ranged from inappropriate touching to rape.
His downfall fuelled the #MeToo movement, a sexual misconduct reckoning which spread far beyond the entertainment industry.
He continues to deny all allegations of non-consensual sex.
- 14 Year Old's Tips For Preventing Child Sexual Assault
- Former high school youth worker sentenced for sexually assaulting student
- Allegations of Assault and Its Defense
- Gooding faces new charges and a potential parade of accusers
- Personal Injury Lawyer Faces Sack For Assault
- What to Do When You've Been Charged With a Sex Crime
- Troy man escapes attempted murder charge
- Prosecutors want 12 Cuba Gooding Jr. accusers to testify
- Panty raider! Army veteran, 37, is arrested after 'breaking into a home wearing only women's lingerie and fleeing police K9s completely nude'
- Man is jailed for 25 years for orchestrating $1.3 billion fraud scheme that stole money from at least 7,000 investors nationwide - including ABC anchor George Stephanopoulos
- Ancient Verses Contemporary History - McCain Style
- 'Dumpster fire at Biden HQ!' Donald Trump Jr. slaps at Hunter Biden who dubbed him 'Prince Humperdinck' in nod to movie buffoon as president's son says former VP's family 'got rich by leeching off American taxpayers'
- Felicity Huffman Takes On Role Of Federal Inmate
- Background Check for Staff at Milwaukee Schools a Must
- Case of Attempted Murder
- Jeffrey Epstein's notorious island now a tourist destination -- and businesses happy to oblige
- 12 Things to Do If You've Been Arrested For DUI
- Understanding Subprime Lending And Its Implications To The Current Graduate Student
- Domestic Violence Criminal Defense Explained - Part Two
- Criminal Background Check Online - How to Look Up Anyone Instantly!
Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to sexual assault charges in California have 626 words, post on news.sky.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.