Harvey Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to charges of sexual assault in Los Angeles.
The disgraced Hollywood mogul, 69, was brought into court on Wednesday in a wheelchair after losing his bid to block extradition from New York.
Weinstein appeared in the city where he made his name as a producer, charged with 11 counts of sexual assault in California relating to five women.
The charges include four counts of rape and two counts of sexual battery and he faces up to 140 years in prison.
His lawyer entered a not guilty plea to all charges and said he planned to challenge three of the counts, citing the state’s statute of limitations.
Weinstein spoke briefly during the five-minute part of the hearing open to the public.
Judge Sergio Tapia told him, “good luck Mr Weinstein”, to which the convicted rapist replied: “Thank you very much.”
More on Harvey Weinstein
- Leader of Time’s Up movement Roberta Kaplan quits after backlash over her work with Andrew Cuomo
- Harvey Weinstein: Former Hollywood producer extradited to California to face more sexual assault charges
- Harvey Weinstein: New York judge rules media mogul can be moved to California to face rape charges
- Harvey Weinstein appeals against convictions for rape and sexual assault
- Harvey Weinstein: Aspiring filmmaker set to allege ‘horrendous sex abuse’ by disgraced producer at England tribunal
- Harvey Weinstein ill with a fever and being ‘closely monitored’ in prison
No bail was granted.
Weinstein was flown to Los Angeles from New York, where he is serving a 23-year sentence for rape.
The California allegations are linked to incidents said to have happened in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills from 2004 to 2013.
Weinstein was first charged in Los Angeles in January 2020 as his New York trial was getting under way.
He is appealing against his New York rape conviction.
Prosecutors in Los Angeles have 120 days to bring Weinstein to trial under the terms of the extradition agreement.
His lawyers had fought the extradition, arguing he was in poor health.
The Oscar-winning producer’s ailments include diabetes, extensive coronary artery disease, anaemia, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnoea and chronic lower back pain, they said.
Weinstein had been a feared figure in Hollywood for decades when scores of women came forward in October 2017 alleging he had assaulted them.
The accusers included A-list actresses and anonymous assistants and the complaints ranged from inappropriate touching to rape.
His downfall fuelled the #MeToo movement, a sexual misconduct reckoning which spread far beyond the entertainment industry.
He continues to deny all allegations of non-consensual sex.
- Harvey Weinstein Hit With New Sexual Assault Charges By L.A. County D.A; Already Incarcerated Producer Faces 140 Years Behind Bars If Found Guilty
- Harvey Weinstein facing six new sexual assault charges in LA
- Harvey Weinstein facing 6 new sexual assault charges in Los Angeles
- Former "Smallville" Actor Allison Mack Pleaded Guilty To Racketeering Charges Ahead Of The NXIVM Sex Cult Trial
- Ron Jeremy Charged With Seven Additional Sexual Assault Counts
- Uber driver, 30, is arrested for 'choking and sexually assaulting' a 51-year-old passenger he 'chased down after she tried to get out of his car because he kept asking about her sex life during 4am ride to work'
- Harvey Weinstein Hit With Rape & Sexual Battery Charges By L.A. D.A. As NYC Trial Starts
- Harvey Weinstein Sentenced To 23 Years In Prison As Rape Accusers Fill Two Rows In Courtroom
- Ashley Judd Gets OK To Resume Harvey Weinstein Sexual Harassment Case; “Look Forward To Pursuing …At Trial,” Lawyer Says
- What Will Happen to Harvey Weinstein, Legally?
- Quentin Tarantino Explains Everything: Uma Thurman, The ‘Kill Bill’ Crash & Harvey Weinstein
- Harvey Weinstein Subpoenas From Manhattan D.A. Taking Al Capone Tactic
- Harvey Weinstein charged after handing himself in
- Boris Johnson condemns Harvey Weinstein as pressure grows for disgraced movie mogul to be stripped of his CBE
- Donna Karan explains Harvey Weinstein comments
- Alabama woman pleads GUILTY to murdering man 'who raped her and then strangled her brother' and is sentenced to seven months in jail
- Harvey Weinstein’s accuser Mimi Haleyi files federal lawsuit against him
- Stanford University sexual assault victim reveals she waived anonymity because she didn't want to spend the rest of her life 'shrinking' and says it helped her 'acknowledge the pain'
- NFL Free Agent Terrelle Pryor, Girlfriend Shalaya Briston Plead Guilty In Heinz Lofts Stabbing Incident
- Man pleads guilty to kidnapping Chinese citizen who died while held on $2m ransom
Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to sexual assault charges in California have 714 words, post on news.sky.com at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.