A deluge of huge hailstones smashed through car windscreens and battered dents into vehicles as the UK’s hot weather took a sudden and extreme turn for the worse.
Kevin Messenger, from Kibworth, Leicestershire, rushed outside after heard smashing sounds at around 6.15pm on Tuesday, July 20, and found his VW Polo battered by the falling ice, some chunks as big as golf balls, LeicestershireLive reports.
He was horrified to witness his car being damaged by the massive hailstones which also left the vehicle dented, with his neighbours also suffered damage in the onslaught of falling ice.
The village’s primary school and a care home were also damaged after the 30C weather turned to heavy rain and hail for just under an hour.
Locals reported playing in the sunshine one minute, and then running inside in fear as the giant hail came lashing down.
Mr Messenger said: “The weather just came from nowhere,
“I got a broken windscreen, and pretty bad dents along the side from the stones that were flying around, but not as much as some other people in the village.
“Me and my partner were looking out the window because we could hear breaking glass, the shattering noise, and we noticed our neighbours greenhouse had been destroyed.
“We went and offered some help, and my partner noticed the damage to our car as we walked past.
“We cleared out the garage as best as we could so we could move the car in there to stop it from getting any more beaten up.”
Several residents took to Twitter to share the damage of the storm, posting photos of the torrential downpour and the flooding that at its highest was knee-deep.
Mr Messenger said: “It was okay indoors, but when I went to move the car after the windscreen shattered the noise in the car was almost like you were being pelted with rocks.
“It was like a Top Gear episode, where they do crazy stunts and get bullets fired at their car, the noise was something I've never heard before.
“I went travelling in Asia during monsoon season, and the weather felt exactly like that, which you would never expect here in the middle of a heatwave.
“A lot of people are still shocked, but I woke up grateful and thankful that I wasn't elsewhere in the world that has this weather all the time,
“It's been great to see the residents of our village rally around again.”
Katie Jaffar, also from Kibworth, Leicestershire, told the BBC both of their family cars were a “total write-off” and “covered in big dents”.
“One minute the kids were playing with their friends in the paddling pool and it was gloriously hot,” Mrs Jaffar said.
“The next minute huge dollops of rain started falling and then it turned into hail – huge lumps of it thundering down.
“It was so fast, it was pretty terrifying.”
- Fierce tornado with 111mph winds and 'golf ball-sized' hail rips houses apart in Texas
- Cops find empty bottle of Bundaberg rum on car seat and alcohol smeared on the windscreen after drink-driver smashes his car while over the limit
- Golf ace George, 3, uses sport to help cope with death of dad and can hit 100 yards
- Guide to autonomous vehicles: What business leaders need to know
- Pickleball is a smash hit in SoCal. Now younger players are picking up the paddle
- Bryson DeChambeau’s extraordinary hulk up before President’s Cup
- Fossils in Burmese amber offer an exquisite view of dinosaur times—and an ethical minefield
- Brisbane weather relief as storm brings six months' worth of rain in one night
- Why the ‘Queen of Shitty Robots’ Renounced Her Crown
- Top Christmas gifts for Apple fans: the perfect pairings for iPhone, iPad and Mac
- Could the Oil Leak Stop on Its Own, and When?
- 2019 BMW 3 Series Debuts In Paris With Bigger Body And Bolder Look
- Facing the deluge: Peak District town could be wiped off the map as police order 6,500 inhabitants to flee before collapse of crumbling dam holding back 300million gallons of water
- 2020 Ford Puma Titanium X Debuts In Europe With Lots Of Kit
- Imagine By Kia Concept Seeks Emotional Connections In Geneva
- Chargers, châteaux and the Channel Tunnel: can you really do a driving holiday in a Tesla?
- Winning At eBay Classifieds – How To Write Great Ads
- Ford Focus ST Revealed With Powerful Gasoline, Diesel Engines
- P scourge gets close to home
- Couple, 72 and 69, died on way to daughter's wedding in Scotland when their car careered off motorway flyover and landed upside down on road 20 feet below, inquest hears
Golf ball-sized hailstones smash through driver's windscreen and dent vehicle have 754 words, post on www.dailystar.co.uk at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.