Simone Biles: GB News host addresses gymnast's withdrawal
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Piers Morgan recently hit out at Olympian Simone Biles, claiming her statement after withdrawing from the games was “a joke”. Now, former Gogglebox star Tom Malone Jr has slammed the broadcaster for his comments.
Such a disgusting and dangerous narrative.
Tom Malone Jr
Following outrage after his comments suggesting that Simone was not a role model for children, Piers later slammed his haters on social media.
Sharing a picture alongside Simone, 24, the former Good Morning Britain anchor said: “You can either listen to snowflake Twitter, @Simone_Biles – or listen to me.
“You’re a great champion, & great champions get back on their feet when they get knocked down.”
He added: “So, re-engage in these Games, win Gold, & inspire with the power of resilience, not resignation. Go for it.”
Piers Morgan’s comments surrounding Simone Biles have been branded ‘dangerous’ (Image: ITV/GETTY)
Gogglebox star Tom Malone Jr hit out at Mr Morgan on Twitter (Image: INSTAGRAM)
After discovering Piers' tweet, dancer and former Gogglebox star Tom shared Piers' original post alongside the caption: “Not Piers Morgan belittling peoples battles with mental health yet again.
“Such a disgusting and dangerous narrative that she is somehow less ‘resilient’ for seeking help.”
Tom's followers appeared to share similar views as they took to the replies section offering their thoughts.
One penned: “Three women in the public eye are brave enough to open up about something so personal as mental health. To be verbally attacked by Mr Morgan it’s too much.”
Piers Morgan claimed that Simone’s statement was “a joke” (Image: GETTY)
It comes after Simone withdrew from the Tokyo Olympic games (Image: GETTY)
Piers Morgan’s life in pictures (Image: EXPRESS)
Sharing a gif, a second added: “Well said.”
“Piers Morgan athlete’s are human just like Joe Bloggs [connotation for the average man’. I suffer with depression and mental health issues and I find your attitude to dismiss it very hurtful and dangerous. Like the saying, if you got nothing kind to say, maybe not say anything,” penned a third.
While a fourth added: “That's because he's a pillock Tom.”
Piers' post comes after he was met with backlash following his reaction to Simone's news that she was putting her mental health before her career.
DON’T MISS… Tom Daley waded into Meghan and Harry row over royal protocol [LONG READ FEATURE] Oprah Winfrey fury as Prince Harry's book branded 'definitive account’ [INSIGHT] Adam Henson says Jeremy Clarkson's farming show is 'hysterical' [REACTION]
In a heartfelt statement, she said: “After the performance I did, I just didn’t want to go on.
“I have to focus on my mental health. I just think mental health is more prevalent in sports right now.”
Simone, who has earned 30 Olympic and World Championship medals over the course of her career, continued: “We have to protect our minds and our bodies and not just go out and do what the world wants us to do.
“I don’t trust myself as much anymore. There were a couple of days when everybody tweets you and you feel the weight of the world.
“We’re not just athletes. We’re people at the end of the day and sometimes you just have to step back.”
She continued: “I didn’t want to go out and do something stupid and get hurt. I feel like a lot of athletes speaking up has really helped.
“It’s so big, it’s the Olympic Games. At the end of the day, we don’t want to be carried out of there on a stretcher.”
However, Piers soon reacted, adding: “Are 'mental health issues' now the go-to excuse for any poor performance in elite sport? What a joke.
"Just admit you did badly, made mistakes, and will strive to do better next time.
"Kids need strong role models, not this nonsense."
- Piers Morgan fuels This Morning feud claims with 'awkward' Ruth Langsford remark
- Andi Peters blasts GMB as he says ‘I’m the only black person here’ after BAFTA row
- Prince Charles praises ‘remarkable’ Greta Thunberg as he says he doesn’t want Prince George and Archie ‘to accuse me of not doing something’ on climate change and humanity ‘simply cannot waste any more time’
- 'Your promotion of being unprepared is DANGEROUS': Pregnant Lucy Mecklenburgh is slammed by troll for choosing not to have a birthing plan
- 'I think the geezer's dead mate': Chilling 999 call made from Michael Barrymore's home after Stuart Lubbock drowned in his pool is heard for the first time - as star's ex-lover says 'we all had a really good time' at party
- Did Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais go TOO far? Comedian jokes about Jeffrey Epstein and Prince Andrew as he eviscerates 'woke' Hollywood, telling stars: 'If ISIS started a streaming service, you'd call your agent'
- Susanna Reid tells of frantic dash TOWARD scene of horrific Streatham terror attack after seeing a helicopter fly over her home and social media posts of armed police outside her local Lidl
- Labour MP Tracy Brabin says she'd rushed to the Commons just before 6pm from a 'music event' and her dress slipped as she hobbled with a broken ankle before trolls called her a 'slapper'
- 'I'm being bashed and bullied over this… it's nothing to do with me': Michael Barrymore launches passionate defence in Twitter video ahead of new documentary into the death of Stuart Lubbock in his swimming pool
- Michael Barrymore says he’s been ‘bashed and bullied’ over death of Stuart Lubbock but he’ll talk after Channel 4 doc
- The 2016 Democratic convention - live updates
Gogglebox star blasts Piers Morgan after 'disgusting and dangerous' remarks about Biles have 1197 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.