The United States is in an "unnecessary predicament" of soaring COVID-19 cases fueled by unvaccinated Americans and the virulent delta variant, the nation's top infectious diseases expert said Sunday.
"We're going in the wrong direction,'' said Dr. Anthony Fauci describing himself as "very frustrated."
He said recommending that the vaccinated wear masks is “under active consideration'' by the government's leading public health officials. Also, booster shots may be suggested for people with suppressed immune systems who have been vaccinated, Fauci said.
Fauci, who also serves President Joe Biden's chief medical adviser, told CNN's "State of the Union" that he has taken part in conversations about altering the mask guidelines.
He noted that some local jurisdictions where infection rates are surging, such as Los Angeles County are already calling on individuals to wear masks in public regardless of vaccination status. Fauci said those local rules are compatible with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendation that the vaccinated do not need to wear masks in public.
Nearly 163 million people, or 49% of the eligible U.S. population, are vaccinated, according to CDC data.
"This is an issue predominantly among the unvaccinated, which is the reason why we're out there, practically pleading with the unvaccinated people to go out and get vaccinated," Fauci said.
Fauci said government experts are reviewing early data as they consider whether to recommend that vaccinated individuals to get booster shots. He suggested that some of the most vulnerable, such as organ transplant and cancer patients, are "likely" to be recommended for booster shots.
He also praised Republicans, including Govs. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas and Ron DeSantis of Florida, and the second-ranking House leader, Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana, for encouraging their constituents to get vaccinated. Their states have among the lowest vaccination rates in the country.
"What I would really like to see is more and more of the leaders in those areas that are not vaccinating to get out and speak out and encourage people to get vaccinated," Fauci said.
- Press the panic button... Lucifer's legged it: The Mail's theatre critic is directing his village's Easter play. So why has the Devil disappeared and did the Bible really feature green underpants
- Trump says he can't call the FBI about being offered dirt on opponents by foreign governments because he talks to leaders 'every day' including 'the Prince of WHALES'
- Parents of Harry Dunn say they are 'on their knees in a living hell' as they are STILL waiting for a decision on charging US diplomat's wife who 'smashed her car into his motorbike'
- 'My judgement was probably coloured by my tendency to be too honourable': Andrew says he felt staying with billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein was 'right thing to do' but has 'no recollection' of meeting girl, 17, who says they had sex three times
- ‘Historic’ Criminal Justice Reform Is Headed to Trump’s Desk
- Think this impeachment hearing is the end of Trump? Don’t bet on it! Lord Ashcroft reveals new polling – and says the disdain showered on the President by his enemies may backfire
- Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek, 78, says his wife of nearly 30 years Jean Currivan, 54, has 'cried' alongside him during his stage 4 cancer battle
- Spotlight: Damaging U.S. tariff tantrums call for firm response, experts say
- Measles: WHO says cases have jumped 50%
- Scott McCloud on artistic frustration, optimism, and evolution in 7 comic books
- The REAL reason why TV shows are going wrong
- Showing them how it's done! Catherine Zeta Jones, 48, turns heads in plunging semi-sheer gown while Millie Bobby Brown, Lily James and Emilia Clarke showcase their individual style... as they lead British and Irish red carpet arrivals at the Golden Globes
- Patrick Frazee stares out of car window heading to court, where it's revealed he claimed his fiancée 'lost it' and told him to keep their daughter after 'heated' talk about relationship, as he stands trial for her murder
- “The Abominable Bride” takes us on a frustrating trip into the mind-palace
- I’ve Reported In Ukraine For 10 Years. Please Read This Before You Say Anything Else About Impeachment.
- Syracuse AD says 2019 football season has been frustrating but Orange on the right trajectory
- Wrong turn: why Australia's vehicle emissions are rising
- In Oscar Race for Best Screenplay, Large Majority of Writers Also Directing Their Films
- Honey ant hunters and Aboriginal culture keepers head bush to revive their language
- Truck Driver In Nice Attack Had Accomplices And Planned For Months, Says Prosecutor
Fauci says he is ‘very frustrated’ as US headed in ‘wrong direction’ on Covid have 753 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at July 25, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.