Manchester City have made a £100million offer for Jack Grealish, as Pep Guardiola moves to complete the most expensive transfer in Premier League history.
Champions City have finally tabled a huge bid for the England international which they hope will persuade Aston Villa to agree a deal, in the biggest move of this summer’s transfer window so far.
Grealish has been one of Guardiola’s priority signings this summer and, after days of discussions, City have submitted a remarkable offer which will eclipse English football’s previous transfer record of £89 million for Paul Pogba.
The 25-year-old is set to return for training with Villa on Monday next week, after taking a break following England’s involvement with Euro 2020, but City are hopeful of striking an agreement over the next few days.
Villa have offered Grealish a new contract which will vastly improve his current terms of around £125,000 a week and have based their summer transfer activity on keeping their talismanic captain.
But with City experiencing frustration in their attempts to sign Tottenham’s Harry Kane, Grealish has now emerged as their No. 1 target.
Manchester City, Aston Villa and the player's agent were contacted but declined to comment.
Analysis: the development Aston Villa fans feared last summer
Grealish has been Villa’s undisputed star man since their return to the Premier League, and the focal point of the club’s ambition. He had arguably his best ever season in the last campaign, producing his best numbers despite missing much of the second half of the campaign with an injury.
At Euro 2020, he also impressed for England and appeared comfortable on the international stage under Gareth Southgate.
This is unquestionably the development Villa fans have feared all summer.
Villa’s owners, Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, are targeting a place in European football in years to come and Grealish is the player who they hoped would spearhead their quest.
This move from Guardiola now threatens those plans after finally making his much-anticipated move for Grealish, whose association with Villa began at the age of six.
Grealish will be 26 in September and is yet to play in European football at club level, which appears to be a major factor in what happens next. He holds his own personal ambitions and will know that a move to the Etihad will guarantee him the Champions League in September.
If Grealish does move, which now looks inevitable, there is no doubt that Villa will be very active in trying to ensure Dean Smith can continue progressing.
Villa have already spent around £250 million in the last three years and the target of European football will not change, even without the player the fans call Super Jack.
- Man Utd stepping up £50m Jack Grealish transfer pursuit with Aston Villa star’s lockdown rap not putting Solskjaer off
- Man Utd transfer target Jack Grealish will ‘100 per cent’ quit Aston Villa if they’re relegated, says Paul Merson
- Manchester City and Liverpool off to blistering starts - the Premier League Data Diary
- Arsenal fan keeps warm at the freezing Emirates by bringing a duvet to Manchester City game
- Manchester City target signing Edouard Michut from PSG
- Coronavirus: Manchester City's Walker feeling 'harassed' after lockdown breaches report
- Man Utd need to make three transfers this summer to challenge Liverpool and Man City, warns Red Devils hero Van der Sar
- Willian and David Silva given deadline to sort futures with Chelsea and Man City duo out of contract before season ends
- Rumour Has It: Barcelona offer Inter choice of six players in Lautaro deal
- Kyle Walker faces police interview and £1,000 fine as Man City star breaks lockdown THREE times in 24 hours
- Arsenal news: Jack Wilshere set to QUIT Gunners and is ‘miles apart’ in negotiations over new contract
- Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger needs Jack Wilshere, Shkodran Mustafi and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to morph into Patrick Vieira, Sol Campbell and Thierry Henry.. they won’t
- Arsenal vs Man City: Gunners confirm match is on after talks over supporter safety
- Man City to secure transfer of ‘next Messi’ Edouard Michut, 17, from PSG by buying out final year of youth contract
- Arsenal vs Man City: Pristine Emirates pitch has blue lines painted on it despite no snow visible inside stadium
- Sergio Aguero’s last-gasp QPR winner began Man City’s era at top on this day eight years ago, Martin Tyler looks back
- David Silva set to sign Man City contract extension until end of season amid Inter Miami transfer interest
- Bernardo Silva ‘dating gorgeous model Ines Tomaz’ after isolating together as Man City star moves on from ex-girlfriend
- Man Utd ‘offered Aaron Ramsey and Rabiot for Paul Pogba transfer’ as Juventus try to drive down midfielder’s £132m price
- Solskjaer confirms Man Utd will enter much-changed transfer market in summer with Jadon Sancho and Grealish on wishlist
Exclusive: Manchester City make £100million offer for Jack Grealish have 786 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.