A Vancouver, Washington, couple says they are being sued for a six-figure settlement after they said they received poor service from a roofing company and gave them a one-star Google review.
Autumn Knepper and Adam Marsh told KGW-TV this week that Executive Roof Services (ERS) sued them for $112,000 after they each left one-star reviews of the company’s services.
Knepper and Marsh were reportedly served a lawsuit by ERS that accused them of defamation and intentional interference with business expectancy.
Knepper and Marsh wrote in their respective online reviews that the receptionist of the roofing company, which was sent to their home by their landlord to fix a leak, was “rude” and that ERS allegedly didn’t follow through on the services they were tasked with completing.
The couple also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, which a lawyer for the roofing company told KGW-TV is proof that the two went out of their way to cause harm to the family-owned roofing company.
“[The ERS receptionist] refused to give me any information. She said I would have to get it from the landlord. I asked to speak with the manager and she laughed at me. She told me I was verbally abusing her and that she was the office manager. She hung up on me,” said Knepper.
“She was just super rude, told me that she was office manager and there was no one else I could talk to and hung up on me,” Marsh added, noting that neither tenant was informed of when the company would finally complete the supposedly scheduled roof repairs.
The owner of ERS, Michael Mecham, contacted the Vancouver couple and told Knepper that her negative review needed to be taken down immediately before “more damages were done” to their reputation.
“He told me that he knew where I lived. He said he had forensics guy and that he would gladly spend a hundred thousand dollars suing me,” said Knepper, who added that she contacted local police, who in turn told Mecham not to contact the couple anymore.
And it was then, Knepper said, that the Jordan Ramis law firm reached out to the couple on behalf of ERS to demand they take down the one-star Google reviews.
“Honestly, I cried immediately. I was terrified. I can’t afford a lawyer. I can’t afford to pay $112,000. And I can’t, I don’t want to file for bankruptcy,” said Knepper.
David Bowser, an attorney representing the roofing company, told KGW-TV that the lawsuit is not actually about the negative reviews. He explained: “They intentionally harmed ERS by posting one-star reviews for the purpose of getting a report they weren’t entitled to.”
Newsweek reached out to Executive Roof Services for comment.
- Angry Glasgow bar owner hits back at one-star review
- Randy couples give Scottish beauty spot five star reviews - but for all the wrong reasons
- What it’s really like to be a Michelin star chef
- Norwich to host world premiere by Richard Alston Dance Company
- REVIEW: The Witches, The Bear Pit Theatre
- Review: Renault Captur Dynamique S TCe 120
- Presenters claim BBC forced them to set up personal companies
- Young people say that job satisfaction is much more important than making money
- Actor says life has gone crazy a year after landing his role in Taboo
- Review of the year part 2: Bright ideas, proud moments, heroic deeds
- The world’s weirdest-ever lawsuits – from the murderer who sued God to the man who took himself to court
- Rak-Su’s Myles Stephenson enjoyed secret-hook up with Love Island star Malin Andersson while on X Factor
- Madonna’s brother Christopher Ciccone reignites bitter feud with his ‘horrific’ pop star sister in a tell-all book
- City boss in charge of gender equality drive says it’s women’s fault they’re not paid more because they don’t ask for higher wages
- The most popular fitness stars on Instagram including Joe Wicks and Kayla Itsines – and how much cash they’re raking in
- Multi-millionaire playboy property guru sued by receptionist he ‘promised to marry’ after wooing her with booty calls
- Who is Myles Stephenson? X Factor 2017 star of boyband Rak-Su who was warned off Cheryl by Liam Payne
- Who is Myles Stephenson? Rak-Su star on X Factor 2017 who was warned off Cheryl by Liam Payne
- Who is Myles Stephenson? Rak-Su X Factor 2017 star who was warned off Cheryl by Liam Payne
- Who is Myles Stephenson? Rak-Su X Factor 2017 star who was warned off Cheryl by her boyfriend Liam Payne
Couple says they're being sued $112K for giving 1-star review to roofing company have 735 words, post on www.newsweek.com at July 24, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.