A couple on benefits who face eviction within five days say they have nowhere to go with their three cats, a tortoise, and 40 fish.
Simon, 37, and Joanne Graham, 38, live with their vast array of pets in a flat on Southgate Street, Gloucester.
They say Gloucester City Council will not help them find proper housing to live with their pets until they are made homeless.
The flat is being converted for other purposes, so they were given notice to leave at the beginning of the year by the landlord, reports Gloucestershire Live .
Since then, the married couple, who are on Universal Credit , have sought to arrange new housing with the council to home their big multi-species families but to no avail.
Former chef Simon, a father-of-one, sustained a brain injury in a car accident years ago, qualifying him for an employment support allowance.
Simon said the housing situation has added "stress" to his marriage and believes the council have acted "appallingly".
The 37-year-old added that temporary housing has been offered for him and Joanne but nothing for their animals.
They say to house their three cats alone in a cattery would cost £150 a week – which they cannot afford.
They have, however, found someone who can take in their fish temporarily.
Simon went on to say: "Myself and my wife both suffer with mental health issues as well as physical issues with myself.
“We have until July 31 to be able to be housed by Gloucester City Council who say they want us on the street curb with all our belongings and family heirlooms, plus a 6ft fish tank a tortoise and three cats.
“They know full well we are in receipt of Universal Credit with me on the disability sector as well as receiving PIP (Personal Independence Payment). Yet they still want us on the street before they do anything.
“They’re also saying we would have to find the money from our own pocket for storage and temporary homes for the animals in which we cannot under any circumstances afford.”
A spokesperson for Gloucester City Council said: "We recognise that being threatened with homelessness is distressing and look to work with households to prevent this where possible.
"Although we cannot comment on individual cases when anyone approaches us about being made homeless we work hard to support them and understand their individual circumstances and the issues that they may be facing.
"We also offer financial assistance for those who are eligible to access alternative accommodation along with tailored advice and support.
"We urge anyone who is concerned that they may be facing eviction to contact Gloucester City Council's Homeless Team on 01452 396396 or email [email protected] "
- Elderly man faces eviction after finding out he's been living in the wrong house for SIX years - and the land he actually bought is 40m away
- How turtles are different from tortoises and other facts
- Galapagos Islands: 123 baby tortoises reported stolen
- Manila airport finds 1,500 live turtles in suitcases
- Veza Canetti: 'The Tortoises'
- Grandmother-of-five, 65, is left fighting for her life in a coma and in need of eight operations to combat deadly flesh-eating virus she got when her Siamese cat SCRATCHED her
- Single at 58, JANE ALEXANDER couldn’t wait to move into a house of her own. Then she discovered the agony of living alone after 23 years of marriage
- Archaeologists find haul of mummified cats after discovering seven 4,500-year-old tombs in huge four-mile burial ground near pyramids in Cairo
- Saturday Night Live: Kristen Stewart plays pansexual and tries to initiate a threesome with Kenan Thompson and Ego Nwodim
- Katie Holmes, 40, was the one who 'ended romance' with Jamie Foxx, 51... as it's revealed 'new girl' Sela Vave, 21, is 4 years YOUNGER than his daughter Corinne
- Patients at risk of throat cancer 'could be spotted 40 YEARS before it strikes' by looking for antibodies against the HPV virus, researchers claim
- Revealed: Katie Holmes, 40, and Jamie Foxx, 51, SPLIT 'months ago' after six years together... as he is seen with singer Sela Vave, 21
- LIVESTOCK-Live cattle rally to 5-1/2 month peak on firm cash cattle, beef prices
- Lancastrian boomer with parrot named after the PM and a tortoise called Maggie: ANDREW PIERCE profiles new Commons Speaker Lindsay Hoyle
- How Video Games Are Infiltrating–and Improving–Every Part of Our Lives
- Five things you need to know about our living planet in 2018
- How I made the yawning face and waffle emoji
- 'We won't have to live in fear anymore': readers on the South China Sea ruling
- Dorian's destruction: Bahamas faces a humanitarian crisis with 70,000 needing 'life-saving assistance' and at least 30 dead as the extent of damage wrought by the Category 5 hurricane is surveyed by locals who say 'everything is gone'
- Airbnb faces worldwide opposition. It plans a movement to rise up in its defence
Couple facing eviction have 'nowhere to live' with 3 cats, tortoise and 40 fish have 857 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at July 27, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.