NEWCASTLE striker Callum Wilson vowed to reclaim his place in the England squad insisting he has "unfinished business".
He is confident he can score the goals for the Magpies which will make Southgate sit up and take notice.
And he was not considered for the Euros after suffering a hamstring strain in April.
But Wilson insists he can still play a key role in the build up to next year's World Cup in Qatar.
Wilson still managed 12 goals in 26 Prem appearances last term and was voted the Toon's Player of the Year.
"That's left a bitter taste in my mouth."
Wilson feels circumstances conspired against him after scoring on his England debut in 2018 and winning another three caps over the next 11 months.
He added: "Lockdown certainly didn't help, from a personal point of view, it came at the worst time. Although I only played four times for England, quite a lot happened in those games.
"I scored on my debut, had another one disallowed and hit the post. Every time I pulled on the shirt, I did myself justice.
"I was involved in the Nations Cup but when international football was due to return and I was looking to carry on where I'd left off, Covid struck.
"I feel I have a lot to offer England, not just in terms of my goals record but my physical attributes and leadership qualities."
DREAM TEAM IS BACK! SIGN UP NOW FOR THE 21/22 SEASON FOR YOUR CHANCE TO WIN £100,000
Dream Team 2021/22
PLAY DREAM TEAM FOR THE 2021/22 SEASON!
- £100,000 in prize money up for grabs
- £50million budget to build your best XI
- Play in Mini Leagues against your mates, colleagues, etc
- Click here to play for FREE
- Dream Team app available through Apple Store and Google Play Store
Most read in Football
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
Newcastle Steve Bruce has handed Wilson the iconic No 9 shirt and Wilson admits the goals Jamie Vardy has amassed in his 30s for Leicester, have convinced him he is still improving.
He said: "He's an example to every forward pushing 30.
"Given the chance, I can take my goals per game record at club level into the international arena."
⚽ Read our Transfer news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals
- Countdown to Russia: Socrates’ headband to Stoichkov’s tantrums, we look back at the best No8s in World Cup history
- England failed at World Cup but at least they are not pretending otherwise
- World Cup Semi Final, Croatia vs England Highlights: Croatia Beat England To Reach First-Ever FIFA World Cup Final
- Ruaridh McConnochie out to turn Olympic silver into World Cup gold after call-up
- Rugby World Cup final: Heartbreak for England as South Africa win 32-12
- Erling Haaland, teenage son of Leeds star Alf-Inge, scores hat-trick for Salzburg and once got NINE goals in one match at U20 World Cup
- Mark Wilson aims to hit target for England and get one over on his father-in-law
- England beat Cameroon to reach quarter-finals amid VAR drama
- Lucy Bronze strike caps win over Norway as England reach semi-finals
- Germany’s women display their class to dispatch England at Wembley
- Premier League: Eden Hazard Inspires Chelsea Comeback Against Newcastle United
- Matty Longstaff’s now a Newcastle hero alongside brother Sean after being dumped in tears aged 11
- England squad: Who will Gareth Southgate pick?
- The world’s top 50 most exciting teenagers of 2007 and where they are now including Bale, Ozil and Fellaini
- When Harry Kane scored his 100th Premier League goal - February 2018 review of the year
- Aston Villa 2 Wolves 1: Villains captain Elmohamady the hero as Dean Smith’s men march into Carabao Cup quarter-finals
- FMIA: Andrew Luck, the Colts and the Retirement That Rocked NFL’s World
- How Jesse Lingard fell from Man Utd hero to zero more known for social media gaffes than goals
- Oakland Raiders 24 Chicago Bears 21: NFL comes to Tottenham with a bang… and even puts smile on Kane and Levy’s faces
- Man Utd target Arvin Appiah went from England Under-17s to Nottingham Forest first team before signing for Almeria for £8m
Callum Wilson desperate to bang in goals for Newcastle… to earn a shot at World Cup with England have 871 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.