HOLIDAY prices have plummeted in price as families avoid a foreign trip abroad this summer.
With last minute travel restrictions and expensive Covid tests, the usually busy summer season has seen a huge drop in bookings.
This article contains affiliate links and if you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue
Green list destinations such as Bulgaria and Croatia have also changed their entry rules for Brits – Bulgaria has banned UK travellers while Croatia demands negative tests even from vaxxed arrivals.
The rule changes have seen a huge drop in holiday prices despite it being the busy peak season, and often the most expensive.
According to TravelSupermarket, holidays to Malta have dropped the most in price, falling by 52 per cent compared to pre-pandemic.
Malta is currently on the green list and is accepting vaccinated Brits so travellers who are happy to take the risk can get the cheapest holiday ever to the island.
- Seven nights in Malta with LoveHolidays – from £234pp
- Seven nights in Malta with British Airways – from £307pp
- Seven nights four-star in Malta with Mercury Holidays – from £331pp
What are the entry rules for the popular holiday destinations?
- Malta – welcoming vaccinated Brits (not including kids)
- Madeira – welcoming vaccinated Brits or a negative Covid test
- Bulgaria – banned all Brits
- Croatia – welcoming vaccinated Brits with negative Covid test
Amber list :
- Spain – welcoming vaccinated Brits or a negative Covid test
- Greece – welcoming vaccinated Brits or a negative Covid test
- Portugal – welcoming vaccinated Brits
- France – welcoming vaccinated Brits
Holidays to Spain are 20 per cent less while trips to Greece are 11 per cent cheaper.
Even the Spanish islands – all of which remain on the amber list – have dropped in price despite their popularity with Brits opting for package holidays.
Deals have fallen by 43 per cent to Lanzarote, while both Tenerife and Gran Canaria have dropped by 33 per cent.
- Seven nights in Lanzarote with Thomas Cook – from £204pp
- Seven nights in Lanzarote with LoveHolidays – from £225pp
- Seven nights in Lanzarote with easyJet – from £299pp
- Seven nights all-inclusive in Lanzarote with Jet2 – from £499pp
TravelSupermarket’s Emma Coulthurst explained the best places to visit this year.
She said: “For the double vaccinated who are travelling without children, green list Malta is also worth considering for a low-priced break.
“At a country level, Spain, followed by Malta, Greece, Croatia then Portugal offer the best package holiday deals according to average seven-night price."
The destinations which haven’t changed much in price are Menorca and Costa Brava in Spain and Kefalonia in Greece, both dropping by just seven per cent.
Here is everything to know about the new “amber plus” list , including the new rules and which countries could be added to it.
Most read in News Travel
This article and any featured products have been independently chosen by The Sun journalists. All recommendations within the article are informed by expert editorial opinion. If you click a link and buy a product we may earn revenue: this helps to support The Sun, and in no way affects our recommendations
- £16bn wiped off holiday firms as traders bet on sluggish summer
- Holiday scams: the dangers and how to avoid them
- Money: Happy holiday! How to make a splash…and still save cash
- What’s worse – no-deal Brexit or a Corbyn government?
- Facebook, Airbnb, Uber, And The Struggle To Do The Right Thing
- Post Brexit: Brits in favour of visa-free travel for Europeans
- The 10 Most Ridiculous Price Bubbles In History
- Greg Wright: Hot summers offer chance to revive art of holidaying at home
- Best warm weather winter vacations: 7 post-holiday travel deals
- Brexit live: MPs outline plans to debate alternative to May's deal
- The best time to start making holiday travel plans? Right now.
- Luke Johnson: "Holidaying abroad is hurting our trade deficit"
- The 13 places to travel in June for every type of traveler
- Raw Deal: Ruby wedding couple sound alarm over QM2 cruise costs
- Blue Chips up as oil prices rally on back of Trump's threat to pull out of Iran deal
- Driving to the airport over the holidays? Here’s advice to avoid a parking surprise
- UK SME business travel remains resilient
- Toys R Us is gone. Who’s filling the void, and why there could be a holiday toy shortage
- The 50 best ski holidays for this winter to book now
- Trump’s China Tariff Talk Rightly Worries Retailers: Gadfly
Brits can blag incredible holiday deals right now as prices plummet 52% due to travel uncertainty have 829 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.